• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drunk Driver vs XJ = XJ gas tank explodes

clean96XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Sad day for Family and Friends Of Roe family.
My deepest condolences.

XJ GAS TANK EXPLODES ! dam

from
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=706_1309259561

WINCHESTER, VA (WUSA) -- Frederick County, Va. prosecutors are considering upping charges to four counts of homicide against an alleged drunk driver accused of wiping out an entire family in a collision Sunday.

"We will be looking at the full array of homicide charges the law provides, depending on the outcome of the investigation," said Commonwealth's Attorney Glenn Williamson.

Twenty-year-old Steven A. Boyce is currently being held on DUI and manslaughter charges after the Sunday accident that killed 49 year-old Mark Roe, his wife Amanda and their children Tyler, 4 and Caleb 11.

Boyce was driving while serving probation after a 3-year suspended sentence for drug possession. His record includes at least 2 other underage possession of alcohol charges.

Boyce was driving a Chevy S-10 pickup truck that rear-ended the Roe's Jeep Cherokee while it was stopped at a red light on US 11 north of Winchester at 11 a.m.

The collision caused the Cherokee's gas tank to explode, killing all four family members.

Roe's relatives say Boyce should not have been driving. "Look what he had to do to be in jail. He had to kill my family," said Andy Simkhovitch, father of Amanda Roe. "It's not right."

Amanda Louise Roe, 31, of Stephenson, Mark Kevin Roe, 49, Tyler Kevin Roe, 4, and Caleb Andrew Roe, 11, were all in a 1994 Jeep Cherokee, stopped at a red light, when a car rear-ended them at a very high rate of speed, police said.

All four family members have been pronounced dead as a result of the crash, police said.

Steven Andrew Boyce, 20, the driver of the pick-up truck that hit the family's Jeep, is at Winchester Medical Center after suffering injuries in the fiery collision on U.S. 11 at Interstate 81 in Stephenson, police said.

Boyce will be taken to the Northwestern Regional Adult Detention Center after he's released from the hospital. He faces a slew of charges.

http://www.wusa9.com/news/article/1...-DUI-Driver-Steven-Andrew-Boyce-To-Be-Charged

I drove right past that just as the FD was setting up operations (on my way back home to Richmond from Pittsburgh). HUGE column of black smoke that suddenly erupted right as I was going up the onramp to I81. Firefighters dropped everything and were RUNNING to get control of the scene.

My condolences to the family.

Jeff

Eye for eye. Burn him alive.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

I cannot see the drunk driver being convicted with 4 charges of homocide, just for the simple fact that he did not plan on doing it, and there's no mens rea.

Just my opinion, although i would love to see him rot in the whole for the rest of his life.

Last edited:
Geez, How Fast was he running when he hit them?

I too would like to know. As I live in the area and do drive thru that intersection.Sight distance is over 1/2 mile with 3 and 4 lanes of traffic,two turns lanes and 2 thru lanes.
Boy must have had his head up his a$$ to not see or avoid a stopped XJ.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

I cannot see the drunk driver being convicted with 4 charges of homocide, just for the simple fact that he did not plan on doing it, and there's no mens rea.

Just my opinion, although i would love to see him rot in the whole for the rest of his life.
Disagree greatly. He was driving drunk. There is ZERO excuses for that, not to mention he is under age. He managed to wipe out an entire household in 10 seconds. He may not have "planned" on crashing but he broke the law by driving impaired, resulting in 4 deaths. Unless it is an honest to god accident that results in a death, there is no reason they should let continue his life. If he was stone sober and hit ice and hit them, sure, live on and deal with the accident. But this guy essentially breaks two laws, breaking one of them 4 times, in the same action, why should the locals have to pay taxes to keep this scum bag in climate controlled living quarters, food, exercise, and visits after he took life from 4 innocent people.

Disagree greatly. He was driving drunk. There is ZERO excuses for that, not to mention he is under age. He managed to wipe out an entire household in 10 seconds. He may not have "planned" on crashing but he broke the law by driving impaired, resulting in 4 deaths. Unless it is an honest to god accident that results in a death, there is no reason they should let continue his life. If he was stone sober and hit ice and hit them, sure, live on and deal with the accident. But this guy essentially breaks two laws, breaking one of them 4 times, in the same action, why should the locals have to pay taxes to keep this scum bag in climate controlled living quarters, food, exercise, and visits after he took life from 4 innocent people.

Is he a terrible person and a waste of air? Yes.

Did he commit murder. No.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manslaughter

Thats just the letter of the law my friend.

Fortunately you are ignorant of Drunk Driving laws and how they have been applied over the past 10 years or so, not to mention a little thing called vehicular manslaughter. If the prosecuter knows what he is doing they will get him on all four counts. Try him, convict him, then burn him alive! If we stop being such XXXXXXs as a nation and hold people accountable for there actions, less of this kind of crap would happen. This is just another symptom of the lack of personal responsibility that is so prevelant today.

sounds like something they'd do in africa... lets give him a trial, convict him if he's guilty, then punish him according to existing law.
Actually, in Africa they'd pile tires on him first. Not a pretty sight, and that's usually someone who actually did something wrong. Except the occasional Christian that gets burned for fun.

He's a repeat offender who chose to get behind the wheel drunk, again. And he's only 20. He's off to an awesome start on life. On probation for drug charges, 2 prior underage alcohol convictions, he will do it again. Hit him with manslaughter, he'll go back to it when he gets out.

Would you feel the same if he were drunkenly firing a gun near people and 4 of them were killed as a result? Same basic difference.

Its not like he did it on purpose, but he's a kid that is way too ignorant and belligerent, and what happened here is terrible. Unfortunately, you don't always get a true second chance to actually learn from your mistakes. His other infractions served no lesson to him. He should go away for awhile. I could not imagine living with the guilt of taking out an entire family because of my own stupidity.

Its not like he did it on purpose, but he's a kid that is way too ignorant and belligerent, and what happened here is terrible. Unfortunately, you don't always get a true second chance to actually learn from your mistakes. His other infractions served no lesson to him. He should go away for awhile. I could not imagine living with the guilt of taking out an entire family because of my own stupidity.
In my opinion he did do it on purpose if he got behind the wheel, drunk, at 11am.

Back