• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driving with ujoints falling apart

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
Can I drive my jeep when I can see the ujoints in front axle falling apart as long as its not in 4wd? I know I could drive it when I had no frond drive shaft but so I was wondering if its ok?
Thanks

blazinjames said:
Can I drive my jeep when I can see the ujoints in front axle falling apart as long as its not in 4wd? I know I could drive it when I had no frond drive shaft but so I was wondering if its ok?
Thanks
take the drive shaft off

blazinjames said:
Thanks

It is not recommended in any form, the u joint if it spits a cap can bind and break your axle shafts. why not just fix em? its a 25.00 job

wait.. I'm confused: it's the axle shaft ujoints that are falling appart?? If so why did you bring up the driveshaft?

Anyways: deal is: fix stuff that's broken. You dont want the ujoint falling appart and something binding on you or risking further damage. Even though you don't have power to front wheels they still spin this putting extra stress on the ujoints.

Kejtar said:
wait.. I'm confused: it's the axle shaft ujoints that are falling appart?? If so why did you bring up the driveshaft?

Anyways: deal is: fix stuff that's broken. You dont want the ujoint falling appart and something binding on you or risking further damage. Even though you don't have power to front wheels they still spin this putting extra stress on the ujoints.

X2

Kejtar I was wondering why you said to take the driveshaft out. :confused1

Specify if youre talking about the driveshaft joints,or the dana 30 axle shaft U Joints?

If its the driveshaft, just remove the shaft put in new U joints.
If it's the axle shafts, I would drive it... slowly, but not at highway speeds.

blazinjames said:
Thanks

The guy stated it fairly simply I thought

NO fix it before it possibly does damage

blazinjames said:
i just wasnt sure if the ujoints were used while in 2wd..cause i know u dont use the front driveshaft in 2wd..

not its been clairifed for me!

thanks i will fix it before i drive on em!!

Its just safer, the parts are constanlty rotating even in 2 WD, a sharp turn could cause a bind and take out the axle shafts and or even the ball joints and pop the knuckle off............seen it happen a few times

blazinjames said:
i just wasnt sure if the ujoints were used while in 2wd..cause i know u dont use the front driveshaft in 2wd..

While you may not "use" it in 2wd, it still spins regardless.

In my experience, you can drive on them when they're pretty sloppy, maybe even when they've started to rattle and squeak, as long as they stay pretty much the shape they're supposed to be, but when they start to make popping noises, you're in trouble.

I've watched my buddy drive on a u-joint that was completely snapped in half. Now I'm not recommending this, but you can drive on bad front u-joints to get out of a pinch if you absolutely must.

Back