• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driver rear wheel shifts?

low'n'go xj

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 94 xj sport with a 8.25 rear axle, when driving over mild bumps, i can here a good thunkfrom that corner. i can kick the tire and that tire and drum assembly shifts. i.m think it's the inner bearing.
the wheel cylinder seems to be bad as well, don't thinck that has any thing to do with the thunking in the axle.
i have not worked on the 8.25 before, and also have never heard of this problem before. any help will be great. thanks!

most likely the wheel bearing right there at the wheel and not the carrier bearing since you would have alot more to worry about than a thunk if it was the carrier. pretty straight forward on the 8.25 to change that bearing neway just like ne other c clip style axle. only get timken bearings and good oil for the r+p. wheel cylinders are 35 bucks tops

Also check your shock absorbers and the shock bushings, that's where my clunk was coming from. If the sound is coming from the rear right make sure your exhaust is not bouncing into things as well.

I have a 92 with the 8.25" , and I was just outside last night kicking my rear tires around and found the same thing (in and out slop of the axles) both sides... What it is( on mine anyway) is slop coming from the inner ends of the axle against the carrier pin that holds the spiders and c clips in. I'm not freaking out as much now that I know what it is, but when I get a chance to take it apart I'm going to see if the clips are worn, or what's the story...

I have a 92 with the 8.25" , and I was just outside last night kicking my rear tires around and found the same thing (in and out slop of the axles) both sides... What it is( on mine anyway) is slop coming from the inner ends of the axle against the carrier pin that holds the spiders and c clips in. I'm not freaking out as much now that I know what it is, but when I get a chance to take it apart I'm going to see if the clips are worn, or what's the story...

Just subscribing... have the same in-&-out slop on my '96 w/ the 8.25" and I'm not sure what it is... or if it's a worry.

Thats (semi)normal end play that you get with c-clip axles.

Also check your shock absorbers and the shock bushings, that's where my clunk was coming from. If the sound is coming from the rear right make sure your exhaust is not bouncing into things as well.

i was kicking the he## out of the tire and you can see it move too much. i also just redid the exhaust, so i know that's not it. went and got some prices today, on disabilty right now so got just take care of it for now and will up grade with left and gears and locker.

thanks for the info.

is there a site that has exploded views of the axles? just be nice to have it on hand for when i do tear it down.

Nothing like an FSM for your year, but morris 4x4 has exploded parts diagrams on their website.

Back