• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

doors, legality?

the only requirements i've found on this is a federal requirement to have 2 rearveiw mirrors in your natural line-of-sight.

i suggest some old CJ mirrors on the front fenders and run with a seatbelt on. i've found that most cops wont hassle you unless you are being stupid or the rig looks like crap and might have some saftey violations that would be easy to stick to you.

sidriptide said:
the only requirements i've found on this is a federal requirement to have 2 rearveiw mirrors in your natural line-of-sight.

i suggest some old CJ mirrors on the front fenders and run with a seatbelt on. i've found that most cops wont hassle you unless you are being stupid or the rig looks like crap and might have some saftey violations that would be easy to stick to you.

I know in WV they won't say anything if you run mirrors... doors or not... even the wranglers though have to have some sort of mirrors... go to a dollar store and buy some cheap bicycle mirrors and rig up to fit in your door hinges

I don't recall where I was told this (I think it was by some Wrangler guys), but my understanding is that in Connecticut it is only legal to run w/o doors if the doors were removeable from the factory.

Eagle said:
I don't recall where I was told this (I think it was by some Wrangler guys), but my understanding is that in Connecticut it is only legal to run w/o doors if the doors were removeable from the factory.
I've been told the same thing by guys that do inspections in NH. Supposedly using tube doors and having mirrors would count and be legal though.

i run doorless here in jersey without any problems... Yesterday i saw 4 local cops from different towns and last year spoke with a state trooper with no problems...I rigged mirrors where my hinges are...

Have fun but be safe...

good to know :yelclap:

i run the northway from 23 to albany all the time door less as long as u have mirrors and where your belt they dont care a few friends got pulled over for no doors but they where just getting harsed and did not get a ticket

im a police officer down in south jersey and i plan on taking mine off. i'll check with some troopers. but i heard the same thing as long as you have mirrors on the sides. anyway if i see you i'll pull you over just to get the specs on your rig. good luck

i just today got a ticket in NJ for having no doors. The officer gave me an "Unsafe Vehicle" ticket. I tried to explain to him that i had looked it up online and all i could find was about mirriors, which i have, but he didn't care.

i am understandably pissed off.

I run doorless but with an advanced auto mirror 100% of the time and spend alot of miles on RT9 in lathem wich is infested with all kinds of cops. Not once have i been pulled over for no doors. My rigs far from nice looking. you should be fine.

my rig is decent looking and i have a rearview mirrior and a driver's side mirror. The police officers in my town and others around it have never pulled me over before, in fact, they wave. I just assume that this officer was angry because he had to work on memorial day.

Can anyone try to find me the NJ law that says weather this is legal or illegal, because i havn't been able to find it. I plan on going down to my police station tomorow to ask them.

i just got harassed by an in town police officer, who told me that the only reason he wasnt towing it right now is because i was on private property (local highschool). He said that it isn't like that from the factory, it doesn't have factory mirrors for taking the doors off, and if i roll, the vehicle will colapse.

He the proceeded to tell me that a wrangler is made to have the doors come off because it has a roll bar, and if i want to take my doors off, to buy a wrangler.

Can anyone please help me, the only vehicle code i have been able to find for NJ
is:

39:3-71. Mirrors
Every motor vehicle shall have rear view mirrors so located and angled as to give the driver adequate rear view vision. Every passenger automobile manufactured after January 1, 1965 and registered in this State, shall be equipped with an interior mirror and an exterior mirror on the driver's side. On and after January 1, 1965, every commercial motor vehicle registered in this State, other than a trailer or semitrailer, shall be equipped with an interior mirror and an exterior mirror on the driver's side, except that every such vehicle so constructed or loaded as to obstruct or obscure a rear view from an interior mirror shall, in lieu of an interior mirror, be equipped with an exterior mirror on the side of the vehicle opposite the driver's side. The director may by regulation establish other mirror requirements for special or unusual types of vehicles. Any person operating a motor vehicle without the equipment prescribed by this section shall, on conviction, be fined as provided in Revised Statutes 39:3-79.

Amended by L.1964, c. 119, s. 1.

and that is all i can find!

Last edited:
lunchbox643 said:
Can anyone please help me, the only vehicle code i have been able to find for NJ
I just read through the entirety of Title 39: Motor Vehicles and Traffic Regulation and have to agree that it doesn't mention doors. If you have an externally mounted mirror, then you're legal. Fight that ticket.

I got pulled over 4 times in MA, and every single time they said it was a safety violation and if they saw me again my vehicle would be towed. I, too, tried to explain I read all of the laws, and found nothing on beeing door-less, but the cop did make a good point - He asked, "Did it pass inspection like that?" - so my thoughts are, would an xj pass inspection w/o doors.. if it still had the mirros? I think so, I looked at my inspection report and there isnt a thing there regarding doors.

Definately fight the ticket no matter what state your in.

Back