• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doomed... I have another XJ!

Got enough stuff moved in the garage to fit the XJ in... barely (in one of the pics you can see how close the rear tire/wheel is to the door tracks).

We brought entirely too much stuff from NJ, LOL.

Was fun bringing it in today, as I spilled a bit of oil that dripped down on the header... looked like a moving BBQ. :gonnablow

DSCN0029.jpg

DSCN0028.jpg

DSCN0027.jpg

Man that looks nice. I can't wait to get 35's. Lemme know when you can take it on a shake down run. Maybe I can go with. I still haven't really taken mine out

Will do. I am thinking Rio Puerco soon... maybe even this week for a shake-down, as I will be working all next week. I need to sort out the front end DS vibes (thinking pinion angle from the LA kit).

Man that looks nice. I can't wait to get 35's. Lemme know when you can take it on a shake down run. Maybe I can go with. I still haven't really taken mine out

Of course, it failed emissions test today. :(

Of course, it failed emissions test today. :(

What failed?

The EGR diaphragms have a way of going South and will get you. They're a bit spendy these days but can generally be found in yards fairly easily, just bring a vacuum pump (or just suck on it) to make sure the diaphragm moves with vacuum and holds.

Also I've seen the EGR solenoids can seize up (drivers side inner fenderwall), both items are good things to grab when you find good ones for the future.

Well, the gas cap passed. LOL. Hey, gotta have small victories, right?

It has an aftermarket air filter, some vac. lines look out of place (IE... no vac. lines to EGR solenoid!!), so I think that is where I will be starting. Maybe grab an OEM airbox and plumbing just to elimate those sort of possibilites.

Here is the report:

89failedemissions.jpg

What failed?

The EGR diaphragms have a way of going South and will get you. They're a bit spendy these days but can generally be found in yards fairly easily, just bring a vacuum pump (or just suck on it) to make sure the diaphragm moves with vacuum and holds.

Also I've seen the EGR solenoids can seize up (drivers side inner fenderwall), both items are good things to grab when you find good ones for the future.

Do you still have the emissions tag under the hood with the "map" of the system? If not I can grab you a photo of mine from my '89 tonight.

The pre-fab lines area available in the aftermarket (if I recall Dorman produces them) if yours are toast.

Nope, no diagram. Would apprciate the photo. Thanks!

Do you still have the emissions tag under the hood with the "map" of the system? If not I can grab you a photo of mine from my '89 tonight.

The pre-fab lines area available in the aftermarket (if I recall Dorman produces them) if yours are toast.

Okay, I'll snap it this evening.

It's a California spec Jeep but there was no difference between that and federal in the Renix years so no worries there (My old Chief was federal spec).

Do what I did and blow up your cat and run a gutted open cat with no muffler like me! Maybe then itll pass
Haha NA I need to fix my exhaust. I'm tired of driving a boat around.
I seen pics of the pt seats on Cherokee forum. I wanna do em in my rig now...

Here's the map:

Emissions.jpg

By the way, if the cat is blown the Renix system works just fine with cheap universal cats, my red Jeep even passes California smog just fine with one.

Do what I did and blow up your cat and run a gutted open cat with no muffler like me! Maybe then itll pass
Haha NA I need to fix my exhaust. I'm tired of driving a boat around.
I seen pics of the pt seats on Cherokee forum. I wanna do em in my rig now...
Not a good idea to be advocating running a gutted cat 'round these here parts, Mario. Violation of Fed Law. Don't do it again.

Glenn, high HC..... just running rich? Leaky injectors, maybe?

Thanks G! Hoping to pick up all of the missing stuff today.

Agreed Jeff, and no benefit from gutting a cat either. The vac lines have been monkeyd with, so need to sort that out. o2 sensor is possible, as are injectors. Among a few other pieces.

Not a good idea to be advocating running a gutted cat 'round these here parts, Mario. Violation of Fed Law. Don't do it again.

Glenn, high HC..... just running rich? Leaky injectors, maybe?

Yeah... I'd fix the vac lines then see what happens. Could be anything if the PO did something :dunce: to them.

Looks nice! What happened to your front DS though?

Just got back from a U-Pull-It with a stock air filter box, egr valve, misc vac. lines (still need a few), vac resevoir. $30 bucks.
Gonna pick up an O2 sensor, oild & filter, and spark plugs today. Hopefully re-test tomorrow.

Front driveshaft is out... PO said he had vibes at highway speeds. Will look in to that after it is all legal and stuff.

Yeah... I'd fix the vac lines then see what happens. Could be anything if the PO did something :dunce: to them.

Looks nice! What happened to your front DS though?

Put in everything I got from the junkyard (minus the EGR... damned screwy bolts on the one in mine), as well as new spark plugs, new O2 sensor, oil and filter change. Hoping for a better result tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

The plugs that came out all looked good to me. One was a tad darker than the others... did not look like oil at all, possibly a bad injector. Will see.

Put in everything I got from the junkyard (minus the EGR... damned screwy bolts on the one in mine), as well as new spark plugs, new O2 sensor, oil and filter change. Hoping for a better result tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

The plugs that came out all looked good to me. One was a tad darker than the others... did not look like oil at all, possibly a bad injector. Will see.

Did you put the existing EGR on a vacuum pump? If it's idling and you apply vacuum it should change the idle. Also the EGR should move (you can see the actuator arm) when you apply vacuum and hold said vacuum. If it's not doing that it probably won't pass.

Thanks G. Appreciate the comments and pic. The vac pic did help.
(FYI, I have been an auto tech most of my life... so I am good-to-go (if not rusty), but certainly worth posting the tip).

Sooooo, anyhoooo. Today, spent the morning in the hot sun gathering parts. Spent the day installing, un-mucking up the vac system and other stuff, installed O2 as outlined above. Decided I had enough time to go try emissions a 2d time. Off I go.

(note to self: even though I am 6 foot 1 in tall, I need a small ladder to service this engine)

Hit I-40 to get things up to temp, then drive to testing station. No line, great! Roll in, help the short guys open the hood, they hook up everything, run the test. They get to the last step... the gas cap test. IT FAILED!!! WTF, the cap passed yesterday. He runs the cap test 3 times, no dice. Failed because of the cap. But the engine is running great.

Off to buy a new gas cap. Come back & pull in. Same thing, hook it all up and test everything again. We get to the gas cap, hand him the new one in package, it passes. Woooooo Hooooo. 3rd time is a charm.

Just got back from DMV. Title, registration and plate in hand. Long day.

Below are the results of the test. Mo betta. :)

89XJpass.jpg

Did you put the existing EGR on a vacuum pump? If it's idling and you apply vacuum it should change the idle. Also the EGR should move (you can see the actuator arm) when you apply vacuum and hold said vacuum. If it's not doing that it probably won't pass.

Great! I always feel nervous rolling into the testing bay.

I knew you had dine repair in the past but wasn't sure how long agoghat was, you are awfully old after all.

Back