• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does this sound like my TPS???

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
Under relatively light acceleration my jeep will shift to OD at approx. 45 mph.........however, a lot of times as i'm going i'll get up to speed for it to shift into OD, it'll shift into OD, but then i'll have to slow down for some reason...but the tranny won't drop a gear (my rpms will be like 1200/1300).

It'll drop to the proper gear only if i either take my foot completely off the gas and then push the pedal back in OR push the gas nearly to the floor (doesn't make a difference if i just push it in a little bit, it stays in OD)

this is an '01 4.0 w/74k......original TPS as far as i know

Yes those are the symptoms of a bad TPS. If you have a meter, you can measure the sensor output as you move the throttle by hand with the ignition on and off please. An analog meter works better for this, but any cheap digital meter will work too.

i dont have a meter, i suppose i could buy one.............s'not like i'd never use it again

i'm assuming you can't clean a TPS???

sounds like you need a tuneup or maybe something is causing a loss of power. Mine did the same thing when the plugs, cap, and rotor needed replacing. The loss of performance will cause the tranny to do wierd things like try to pull itself in OD up hills.

No the TPS cannot be cleaned. If you have a Harbor Freight near you, they often have their $10 meter on sale for $3. Not bad little meters, but they do get inaccurate when the battery gets low. Sears sells meters starting at $15 as well.

I know we have covered this but just to make sure the TPS readings should be..:dunno: ....? Also what pins (or wires) do you take the readings from and is it ADJ? Thanks.
!!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1 !!!1

FatXJ said:
sounds like you need a tuneup or maybe something is causing a loss of power. Mine did the same thing when the plugs, cap, and rotor needed replacing. The loss of performance will cause the tranny to do wierd things like try to pull itself in OD up hills.

no tune-up, it's an '01

btw, my mpg hovers between 18 and 19 mpg so i know my o2 sensors are still bueno

so does that mean you have the original plugs in there at 74k? I would replace those if they are.

Mine does this same thing and it has a new borgwarner TPS in it.

I had problem similar to yours where mine would shift out of first gear into second at 2000 rpm (should be 4800 rpm). I tested my TPS with a meter and the current was within specs.
So just on a whim I thought I would take a look at my reverse lights which were not working.
So I cleaned my NSS and problem solved. By the way, the AW4 shifts better than it has since I bought it.

:cheers:

Back