• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does anybody read?

A must read is "Papillon" one of my favorites, movie isnt bad either-dustin hoffman and steve mcqueen

I prefer the writings of Theodor Geisel, he's one of the most insightful writers ever to pick up a pen.......come to think of it, Hinkley reminds me of Sylvester McMonkey McBean.....

I used to read a lot but we finally got the satellite TV a few months ago... and it's taken a backseat to Speed & Millitary Channel now. :dunce: I haven't been by the local Comm College library in too long.

Vonnegut is funny stuff...

I 'like' mil. and/or general history, so there's a ton of that out there... I like the fictional genre a'la Clancey & WEB Griffin OK, but it can get stale.

Ragnaar Benson has some great how-to books... along with the Imrovised Munitions Handbook trilogy.

Another neat short-read is "Coming into the Country" by... I forget who - but about a 48-stater who headed north to Alaska.

Folks got me a HUGE gift card to Borders a couple of years ago...and I STILL haven't killed the balance on it. I usually head over to the 'classics' section and leave with something I haven't read before. Works for me.

If you're looking for something good to read, try something by Chuck Palahniuk. If you like a light-hearted approach to philosophy pick up Douglas Adams' Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide. :)

I have been recently reading an alternate history series by Harry Turtledove. He starts with a book entitled How Few Remain. The premise is that the Confederacy won its war for independence twenty years ago, and tensions are building between the two neighbors over Confederate acquisition of former states in the Republic of Mexico. The series has progressed through the WWII era where the priniciple players are in North America instead of Europe. Turtledove weaves historical characters into his stories in sometimes surprising elements. This story really interests me because I am both a history nerd and sci-fi geek, and I get the impression that the author is as well. He takes many historical events and writes about them with a "what if" point of view.

woody said:
I used to read a lot but we finally got the satellite TV a few months ago...

In my case it was NAXJA that seriously cut into my reading addiction...
Big time science fiction fan, with a library of about 500 paperback and 350 hardcover SF, plus another 180 or so fiction, philosophy, physics, humor, travel, etc. Mostly prefer the hard SF, as by Bear, Benford, and Brin, but also some good fantasy such as LeGuin's Earthsea, Gaiman's American Gods, or Blaylock's The Paper Grail. Cyberpunk by Gibson, Sterling, and Stephenson...

I could go on and on, but time to get back to work on the heep :wave:

The Saharra books on US history:
The War for Independence:
Rise to Rebellion
A Glorious Cause
Skip the Mexican-American war book - horrible
The three US Civil War books:
Gods and Generals
Killer Angels
Last Full Measure
Not sure of the name of the WWI book but it was good.

Colder than Hell - the story of the Chosen Frozen
Band of Brothers - Stephen Ambrose
Grown Grey in War - Story of a Marine's service Korean POW through 1979
Ghost Soldiers - story of the rescue of some Bataan death march survivors at the closing days of WWII

The Late Great State of California - story of what would be lost if California did fall into the sea.

Anything and everything I get my hands on. Lots of sci-fi and fantasy. Used to be 2 - 2 1/2 books a day. Down to 1 book a day now.

Sarge

1. Clive Cussler
  2. Kurt Vonnegut
  3. J.R.R. Tolkien
Recently got into some military stuff, read "Marine Sniper", and "Silent Warrior" by Charles Henderson. Could NOT put them down.

JeepFreak21 said:
I'm diggin' philosophy so far, but I've found that I much prefere it with a story behind it. Billy
Billy, if you can get through Ayn Rand, you can definitely get through all of the introductory philosophy I posted earlier. All of them wrote their stuff like a story, much of it is quite funny as well. The most interesting stuff from a human perspective is probably Plato; written over 2500 years ago, but still totally relevant. Just shows how little humans change. If you have time, give it a try...

Beej said:
Billy, if you can get through Ayn Rand, you can definitely get through all of the introductory philosophy I posted earlier. All of them wrote their stuff like a story, much of it is quite funny as well. The most interesting stuff from a human perspective is probably Plato; written over 2500 years ago, but still totally relevant. Just shows how little humans change. If you have time, give it a try...

thumbup.gif
I'll check 'em out.

I'm wondering WHEN DO YOU PEOPLE FIND TIME TO READ?!!?

I read all day at work and usually bring some home with me. That is NOT the sort of thing you read for pleasure, however. After dinner and a tiny little bit of family time, I get to read some Geisel, or maybe some Sheep in a Jeep (HATED the ending of that one), or if I'm lucky one of Eric Carle's books. Most of these take less than five minutes, though. Between the ever present Jeep projects and work left over from the day . . . I rarely if ever get to read for pleasure. Last thing was All the Laws But One by William Rehnquist, and that was at least a year ago.

Right now I am starting the fourteenth book in the Jack Aubrey series (out of twenty in the Master and Commander line by Patrick O'Brien ). Not too deep, just good adventure with a good sense of history. The historical books by O'Brian are good too (if you don't want to get hooked into a series).

Most people were forced to read Moby Dick in school but Typee is a much more enjoyable read.

Twain, Kipling, Hemmingway, Steinbeck and Kerouac are good reading if you have not been forced to read them lately.

Read The Bell Curve if you want some deep thinking.

The modern authors (Clancy, Ludlum, Kuntz, King, Rice, etc.) are good entertainment, and easy to find on the used book racks, but if you want something to taste a little variety buy a used American Literature book. Find an author you like from the book and then visit the local library for more of the same style.

One of these days I'll get back to reading El Ingenioso Hildalgo, Don Quijote de la Mancha (in spanish). Reading glasses help (a matter of when, not if, you need them), but some books just defy concentration.

Ed A. Stevens said:
...if you want something to taste a little variety buy a used American Literature book. Find an author you like from the book and then visit the local library for more of the same style.
That's funny, Ed, because I was going to recommend doing the same thing. I just finished an American Lit class and the Norton Anthology (of American Literature) book we used has a great selection of writings. It has so much that it's considerably thicker than a Bible. It gives a bio on each person as well, which I found to be equally interesting.

Back