• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do I have to...

rstarch345 said:
It is their vehicle cause the title and insurance is in their name and they are legally responsible.

Depending on the state he lives in, he may not be able to own a vehcile until the legal age of 18. Besides that, like he's going to be able to buy and afford paying for insurance.

Youngster, don't try and badger mom and dad about it. Find some scenic, rough country road. Offer to take them out on a sight seeing tour. Drive slow down the road and let them enjoy the bumps and jouncing and beautiful scenery. Be patient. Do that several times then say, "See it wasn't so bad, where I'm going is just a bit bouncier". More than likely they give you the nod.
He lives in mass too, we can have the title in our name before 18, i believe anytime after 16 pr 16 1/2? I know i owned my first vehicle when i got my licence at 16 1/2. As far as your parents not letting you offroad it, i had the same problem at first but i proved to my parents that i could fix what i break (not much) and be able to make the right decisions. Like someone else said, common sense is the best thing you could bring. And rob95xj, wanna let me know where that trail is too? :cheers:

Man I remember having to go through this with my 88'. When I got the Jeep handed down to me at 16 it had about 165,000k. I drove that thing until 230k when finally I bought a new Cherokee. Between the time I got the Jeep until the time I sold it, my mom mostly, blamed everything that went wrong with it on off-roading. Every time it had just a little bit of mud on it I would get the standard lecture about how I was destroying my vehicle...My advice to you is to do what I did. Make sure you've got money in the bank for a tow truck, get recovery points, wash your vehicle before your parents see it(underneath as well), and pray you don't badly damage it haha.

I understand your position on wanting to go offroad but i would suggest NOT getting on their bad side and doing anything against their wishes. Only bad things will follow. You aren't going to convince them that 4 wheeling is ok/safe by going out and doing it and coming back home to hear about it. I would suggest spending some money on getting some recovery equipement (tow hooks, straps, etc), get some good tires and start doing the maintenance on it so you gain confidence and learn the parts of your car. Maybe try to find dirt and gravel roads where you can engage 4wd and learn how the Jeep responds.
Think about your parents perspective... they bought you a car... probably the one you wanted, and don't wanna see it damaged that quickly ( or you hurt or stranded... don't wheel alone)... look at the pics of guys who go offroad... their jeeps show the scars, its something that all of us can understand, but its not very appealing to most people.
I don't think its worth getting in hot water over. Always show respect for your parents... they are the only ones you'll get. Get creative about getting to go offroad... see if your dad wants to go camping or a road trip to a little town that has lots of dirt roads. While you may be a great driver, you don't have tons of experience. When they have confidence in you that you are capable, they may change their minds or just not care that much anymore. The Jeep will also not be as new to them then so it may not hurt them quite as much to see the scars from branches and rocks..etc.
And by the way, i'm not a parent, i'm 24. I fully appreciate your offroad enthusiasm... but family first.

just SAY your going to a friends house... jk, i'm almost 18 and had the same problem with my parent's durango, so i bought a beater for five hundy and sold it for three times that, now i'm on my 6th jeep (five xj's and a cj5) and just bought a cherokee with over 15k in it for a third of that, my parents respect what i've accomplished and my passion for wheeling, just be patient, save up some money, and watch cragslist like a freaking hawk. btw, its a thousand times more fun wheeling a rig you own and payed pennies for than a rig your not supposed to be wheeling to begin with. good luck

-jordan

p.s. maybe show them the club i belong to, tribal4x4.tripod.com, most of us arent even 18 :)

i asked them a couple of times and they repeatedly said no...so i have gotten over the fact that they dont like my using their car...but i like the idea of setting up a payment plan (the only problem is that they want to sell it for 10 grand and to do that i will be making payment through my sophomore year of college) im going to try and push the idea of getting a beater for off roading and use theirs as a DD..thanks for all the ideas of convincing them but they are not budging so ill respect that and leave it alone

bigwillxj said:
To all those who say f*** the parents.... are u currently attending community college?

I don't say fawk my parents but it gets annoing, Hell I just got beoached for being on the computer to much. Thanks NAXJA. Well I goto Ivy Tech community college. Hell every time I get off my secret mudhole I get covered with with mud and I go straight to the coin wash. I get home with a clean XJ and my parents get pissed cuz my XJ is clean?!?!?!?! Go figure they know y its clean.

Its a tought call if your parents are anal its really to convince them to say its ok to wheel. They don't want me fawing up my XJ bad cuz of money.

first off why would you want to destroy something worth 10 grand, because it will get destroyed with an unexperienced driver, especially offroad.

second off i love how 90% of the people on this board under 20 get handed their jeep and then think they can do whatever they want with it. your parents bought it not you. i have bought and wheeled all of my jeeps and they just get destroyed. if you really want to "wheel" get a daily driver and wheel the other one. if you want to drive on some dirt roads and simple trails then just do that and take it easy, but any really wheeled vehicle will not be able to daily drive.

third off, as long as you live with your parents, weither you didnt pay for the jeep, paid for the jeep, are under/over 18, it doesnt matter. if they want to they can and will make your life a living hell. :flame:

bigwillxj said:
To all those who say f*** the parents.... are u currently attending community college?

for all those who get handed everything. good luck in the real world when mommy and daddy arent there.....:lecture:

If you choose/parents allow you to offroad your Jeep you must be prepared for certain things like bumper/fender dings,mechanical breakdowns,tow bills,replacing stuff you break and it Will happen no matter what. I'd much rather crash or smash my own $500 beater/starter vehicle and learn to wheel before hopping in a $10000 xj. I still cringe when I drag a branch down the side of my 89 xj.

As a parent of a 16yo that was just provided the keys to a 1999 cherokee If I caught him going off road with it he would loose those keys very quick. I say honor your parents wishes, if you want to wheel, find yourself a beater. I can point you to some sub 500 xj in the area very quick and easy. Build it and if you can show them that you can fix it yourself they will probably cave in. also if the XJ you have is worth 10k I would not take it down anything other than old fire roads. body damage is inevitable.

TRCM said:
man, I went 4 wheeling, and my parents never knew........

I tried that and then got stuck without having anyone with me and ended up being goverment land and not my friends like I was told. So the cops came and it was not a good thing. So make sure that you have someone with you and straps without metal hooks! Then that the land is legal to wheel on, not fun getting arrrested for taking your jeep out or calling to tell your parents that you arrested for it when they said you couldn't go wheeling.

redyouch said:
for all those who get handed everything. good luck in the real world when mommy and daddy arent there.....:lecture:

Its not about getting things handed down. Im 17, work a job approximately 20 hours a week. I have paid for over 3 grand worth of things on my own jeep, pay for my own gas. But parents pay for college and put a roof over your head. Parents also bought the guy his car so its really not his. But i guess if you like making minimum wage then go ahead and say fawk them.

Getting back to the actual topic of this thread...

beakie said:
Fluids need to be changed when they need to be changed, what ever miles you put on your ride offroad may put a little more stress on the parts that have changable fluid in them, so if you do a lot of off roading you can maybe change them every 2500miles instead of every 3000 or however often you do them. But engine, tranny, t-case don't need to be changed every outing, say again do not need to be changed. Now as for the difs, if you are in a lot of water, n mud you may want to change the dif fluids more often on the front d30 you have. Unless you have something extra like the Superior Axle Seals to help keep crap out of there, they will take water n mud in thru the axle tubes whenever you cross the wet stuff. Result is milky, ugly rather useless dif fluid that you'll want to change more often.
other than that I would say your good to go, I don't change my fluids any more often than I did when I didn't offroad, and my ride runs better than when I bought.
enjoy your ride, on the road and off.

When I was DDing my XJ, I changed the trans/tcase/diffs every year (I was putting 25-30K/year on at the time) around thanksgiving so that the 4x4 system was in optimal trim for winter. Oil changes were regular at 5-6K intervals

Once I started wheeling it, I kept up that ritual. It's no longer the DD, but I still do an annual change (and the oil at 3K now). However, being that I now attend NACFest each year, I make the appointment for the trans/tcase/diffs within a week or two after the 'Fest, since that gets me fresh juices in just after the major opportunity for contamination.

Rob

redyouch said:

Agree!!! No names said here. But I get tired of seeing spoiled brats on here saying I am going to get a lift and wheels/tires, and a cool sound system that they did not install. (Mall Rated) And come on here and post pics about the great and hard work job they did.

Get a job and save for the "real world" cuz it sucks. And stay in school!!!

Brats:smsoap:
:rattle: "Thats right "mommy and daddy aren't there...."

Don't get me wrong I am getting a lift and tires soon with my own money that I saved from working hard just as anyone else has but I have my priorities straight.

redyouch said:
any really wheeled vehicle will not be able to daily drive.

I disagree. It's more work to keep a DD wheeler in safe streetable form, but with proper cleaning and maintenance it's certainly possible. Many people wheel their DDs hard on weekends, clean them up and drive to work or school on Monday.

fubar XJ said:
I disagree. It's more work to keep a DD wheeler in safe streetable form, but with proper cleaning and maintenance it's certainly possible. Many people wheel their DDs hard on weekends, clean them up and drive to work or school on Monday.

anything modified to really wheel is not something you are going to want to drive over 20 minutes a day. its just not realistic. gas wise. ride wise. control wise. safely. what if you break something badly when wheeling. how do you get to work? its just not realistic. sure if you have 31s and open difs, yes you can daily drive it. but wait till the 33"+ and lockers. NOT POSSIBLE. i speak from experience. good luck :roflmao:

live with what the folks say for a bit, but in the same time, see what you know. Take a small dirt road, don't 'off-road' it, but go down bumpy dirt roads and such. Learn your limits! my father and I discussed buying my Jeep for a few days, purchased an '89 MJ as is for $500. Took a few months to slowly fix it up and clean it all nice, all while I was working 40hrs a week (I was 16 turning 17) Now Im 17, own my own jeep, pay for gas, pay for insurance. I offroad it a bit, but not too much, its my DD and I treat it with respect, I clean it before I stick it in the driveway, its all mine and ive got money into it that I don't wanna lose.

Just.. be smart.

Back