• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY SYE cheap

Thanks BrettM,

See guys, that's what its all about, share the info. Life is hard enough on its own, help out your buddies. Eastern religions call it Karma, Christians call it sowing and reaping. Where I come from it's called survival through teamwork.

By the way I just updated the site with some part number info and other hints. Hopefully I can get more pix posted and the article fleshed out today or tomorrow. I look forward to hearing you guys/gals progress.

I mention that there is a Bronco driveshaft that will work with only changing a part. I know it exists because I was given one, but I don't know the particulars. Hopefully you guys can help me/us run that down. As for the Spicer part, maybe someone can run a reverse lookup on what vehicles use the part and we can find them in the junk yards.

I want to give credit to all the other guys I personally know and the sites on the web that helped me get the info together. Yuccaman's original article about a RE hack-n-tap got me to thinking about this. Jon Jacobs gave me the original tailcone from his parts bucket.

As for the bulk buy, it will take some time to get things set up with the supplier and work out the $$$. It probably won't happen until this fall.

maybe I missed it, but what year/model did this tailshaft housing come from?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is from a 96+.

At the moment I am useing a NP 228 that I have recently rebuilt and was just about to install before this latest thread- So I was thinking that all I would need with my particular tailcone would be a 26-spline flange( RE $87.00 dollars) to mount the double-cardan DS( local boneyard....) from an 96+ XJ-TIA
bxj

old_man said:
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is from a 96+.
Yup, 96 is the change year to the newer tailhousing. It doesn't leak like the old one did when you pull the shaft, but the vibrations can be harsh. It's good to see someone's reading my junk! :D

bxj said:
At the moment I am useing a NP 228 that I have recently rebuilt and was just about to install before this latest thread- So I was thinking that all I would need with my particular tailcone would be a 26-spline flange( RE $87.00 dollars) to mount the double-cardan DS( local boneyard....) from an 96+ XJ-TIA
bxj
Remember that the mods will change the length of the drive shaft required. Finding a flange that works is the hard part next to finding a good seal to use. That is where the legwork comes in to play. Do your homework before you start hacking.

Old_man,

I'm sorry if you feel my post came across as an attack towards you...it was in no way intended as such.

I have no problem at all with people sharing info as this is what these sites are for. I just ask that with the sharing of info the proper background be included. As you know many on this site are new to custom fabrication and jeeping. These individuals are quite eager to do their own work and may not have much experience under their belt. This means it's the responsibility of those who are experienced fabricators to indicate which actions are truely difficult, require experience, special training etc. In your reply to my post you indicated how skilled you were, what sort of parts were required, which tools were required, and how things like modifying a driveshaft requires experience. This is exactly what needed to be said to give the new fabricator a better view of the total job so he/she doesn't jump into a project that my be beyond their current skill level.

Sorry if it ruffled any feathers.

Cheers!

Bender

Takes a lot more than that to ruffle my feathers. No offense taken. What I need to do is to put a picture in of a pre 96 t-case because lots of people are thinking that the picture with the new tailcone is the early t-case and are getting confused. What this does is to offer an alternative to the $190 RE hack-n-tap for the early cases. Even if you buy the tailcone you should be able to do it for $75.

On a side note Old_Man,

I was not me who said it cost $200 to balance a shaft.
I do all my own fabricating and jeep maintenance work and love it.
Saving $$ is very important to me
I base all my jeep mods around easily acquired junkyard parts and parts interchangeablility if possible.

I'm not sure how you drew conclusions on my financial situation, fabricating skills or desire to do my own work but I'd appreciate it if you refrained from doing so in the future.

Also, here is a photo album comparing all the pieces of a pre 1996 and post 1996 t-case that I took when I did my SYE
http://community.webshots.com/album/67867092sMAYxv
And another
http://community.webshots.com/album/69003822MOOVTt
Feel free to take or use any pics you wish.

Last edited:
I appologize if I came off like that. I guess it was more of a statement of my current financial position and a lot of my friends. I've got three kids in college and my work cut me to 20 hours a week. I have to watch every can of oil I use for now. I either find a cheap way to do it or it doesn't happen. I'm sure no one else on this list has EVER been in that predicament :wave:

Being a contract engineer, it is either feast or famine. For the last couple of years things have gone to crap in the high tech industry. It's become like a challenge to see just how cheap I can build a quality rig. I built my own stroker, put it in the impossible 85 XJ. Scrounged a D44 for the rear. Picked up some rotors and calipers at the junk yard for a $75 disk brake setup for the rear D44. Luckily I have the tools to fab most things and it is kind of a tension release to make something out of almost nothing.

The two best things I like about 4 wheeling is the challenge of building, not buying a rig, and the people in the sport. All in all, they are some of the best people I have ever met. We have doctors, lawyers, judges, engineers, students, garbage collectors, and just about any other income bracket and job you can think of, but when we get together, you cant tell who is who. Everybody helps everybody else.

OK, its time for me to get off my soap box and get back to fab'n

92jeeper said:
I had my stock rear shaft lengthened by Advanced Drivelines and it ran me about $200. Just an idea on the price.
Tylor
Damn........... You got ripped off, I took mine to my local driveline shop. Drop it off at 8 am and pick it up at 5pm total cost $55.00!!

Well I just did mine using a '98 TJ output shaft and tailcone and a hack and tap I picked up for it (a buddie bent the shaft on his so he was going the the HD unit)

Total cost was $70
$20 for the hack and tap
$40 for the spicer flange part # 211229X
$10 for the output shaft
Free tail cone.
I also used a stock XJ front shaft in the rear it is the perfect length works great so far tested it up to 75mph and no vibes and I was getting vibes at 55 like crazy.
DIG IT!

You are my idol... Now I only wish that I had a spare 242 to kick ya to start playing with...lol I really hope that you are able to get a 242 to work with, and pursue this... I am torn, I love having the full time 4wd, but wish i had the 231 in my rig sometimes...

If someone here in Colorado has a 242 to loan or donate, I would love to take a look. It doesn't have to be in working order.

,errrrrrrrr,..so am I correct in assumeing that I can use my ole stock NP 228 transfer case tailcone with the $40 for the spicer flange part # 211229X , 26-spline and the front double-cardan DS from a 96-XJ-?
What am I missing?- Something additiional ?-TIA
bxj

I don't know. I don't think I have ever seen a NP228. Once again, if I could lay hands on one I wouldn't mind finding out. From what I can tell, A lot of the tailcones are alot alike.

With the 242, cant you just use the same setup? RE sells the same flange fore the hack n tap for the 231 and the 242. The splines are the same. What would the difference be? From what i've seen i think i can use the RE hackntap for the 242 with "the spicer part" on an extra front shaft, yes?

Back