• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Difficult No Start Issue with 2.5l - Any ideas appreciated!

QuillsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have always had great luck using these forums, getting help, and resolving issues in the past so here goes...

I recently purchased a non-running 1993 Jeep Wrangler YJ 2.5l with an AX5 to use as a platform for a build. I still have my XJ. This Wrangler will not start! The previous owner claimed that he was driving it a few weeks ago and then the engine just shut off and died. When I acquired the vehicle I noticed that the previous owner forgot to reconnect the engine to firewall ground strap which I believe could've led to destroying an electrical component. Just don't now what/where and I am running out of ideas fast. The starter motor cranks away, but no fire and nothing close to even a sputter or acting like it wants to fire.

So the previous owner and I have been chasing it with new electrical parts:

-New battery
-Renewed battery cables
-New CPS
-New TPS
-New Cam Sensor
-New Ignition Coil
-New Dist Cap & Rotor
-Fuel Pressure test at fuel rail while cranking 35-40psi
-Cylinder Pressure all verified
-Verified all fuses are intact
-Timing Chain verified in alignment with sprockets
-Piston 1 TDC verified with Dist rotor 1 plug wire
-Top of engine head inspection looked okay
-Verified continuity through Cam wires to PCM connector plug
-Verified continuity through Ignition Coil wires to PCM connector plug
-Check engine light seems to be operating normally and is not illuminated. Codes are negligible 12 and 33.

The one thing I am unsure of how to identify as being bad is the PCM? Perhaps having a disconnected engine ground fried an ignition component on the PCM? Any help would be appreciated!

There is spark at each plug which should rule out the signal to coil and using a continuity test light I was prodding around in the PCM harness connector to see what was getting power with the key off and what wasn't and I landed on 4 pins in a row that when I tapped them each set off a click (like a relay click) at each injector and the continuity light would illuminate. I would think that would mean that the injectors were receiving a signal.

Over the weekend I found the issue and the engine fired right up and runs very well. The distributor had been tampered with and was installed incorrectly. It was rotated far enough off top dead center when installed that there was no way the engine would start. I appreciate the ideas and help that people posted.

Now I have a very annoying serpentine belt squeal that obviously gets louder when I am on the throttle. I am thinking worn out belt as I don't see any fluids currently leaking on the pulleys, etc.

Back