• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Differential setup tools

I really like that inner axle tube seal installer I saw on a few websites, I think I will get one sometime soon. I have been using some all thread and washers and nuts and it works but is a PITA sometimes.

John... Have you tried just using a piece of 1.25" tube (mine is 36" long) matched to a either a ball joint adapter or a 1-1/8 or larger socket, and just hitting them in?

I tried what I found to be a PITA threaded tool years ago, then moved to just using a jack handle (some are the right OD but a dedicated tube is nice) and a good fitting socket or BJ adapter. It is SO much easier and faster and I have yet to ruin a seal. Those threaded things are difficult to get the seal started straight I found, and then distorts the seal.

With the tube method, it only takes one semi-big hit with a 4lb hammer to seat it, then 1-2 smaller taps with it to get it fully into place. I wouldn't use a threaded installed even if 20 were given to me.

John... Have you tried just using a piece of 1.25" tube (mine is 36" long) matched to a either a ball joint adapter or a 1-1/8 or larger socket, and just hitting them in?

I tried what I found to be a PITA threaded tool years ago, then moved to just using a jack handle (some are the right OD but a dedicated tube is nice) and a good fitting socket or BJ adapter. It is SO much easier and faster and I have yet to ruin a seal. Those threaded things are difficult to get the seal started straight I found, and then distorts the seal.

With the tube method, it only takes one semi-big hit with a 4lb hammer to seat it, then 1-2 smaller taps with it to get it fully into place. I wouldn't use a threaded installed even if 20 were given to me.
I tried that once and ruined a seal and had to cough up $15 for a replacement. It probably would have worked better with a tool that was welded together rather than just some pieces held in place but I never tried that method again. I have never damaged one with a threaded tool but they are kind of a pain. I think the manufactured tools available look easier to use than my threaded rod method.

I've got the threaded seal install tool yukon sells, works fine, a little time consuming compared to driving them in, but not bad. Nice to know they went to an outboard shim in the later model stuff. I mostly deal with 30's and 44's. Occasionally a 9 or a 60.

I made a case spreader for the D44. It isn't really necessary on the D30/D35 but is real hand on D44's.

The other thing I use is a set of setup bearings. It saves a ton of pressing bearings on and off during setup.

Bearing race drivers are nice because they're fast and won't hurt the bearing. There's other ways, maybe a brass drift, but if you plan on doing more than a few installs. I'd get the drivers. I've never used a depth gauge. It'd be nice, especially if you're starting from scratch, but a good one can be pretty expensive. I think a lot of people will tell you they get by fine without one.

So you are saying a alum set of drivers from HF is even in the same league? I had those years ago and warped and flattened out beyond bad in only a few months? Not to mention they were MM and didnt even fit some of the common applications...

I will take a picture of a few of mine now, that I have had now for about 6 years, at maybe 20 diffs a month, but only use each one maybe 2 times a month, when that application comes in and new bearings are installed. I do ALOT of JK's though and with 30-50K miles, bearings are a waste of $ to replace. I will post a picture once I get one later or in the morning.

We were just talking about the style. I don't like the HF one's much either. They are aluminum and distort too easily. If you are only working on XJ axles then a few of the dealer tools make sense. I have the bearing race removal tools and pinion & carrier bearing installer tools. If you're doing many types of axles then that quickly becomes cost prohibitive by the time you start talking to the suppliers for Chrysler, Ford, etc.

I've used the HF race/seal driver set on a few different diff setups now (and other applications) without an issue.

Granted I'm not doing 20 diffs a month, but I probably do 3-4 a year for friends/family.

I've used the HF race/seal driver set on a few different diff setups now (and other applications) without an issue.

Granted I'm not doing 20 diffs a month, but I probably do 3-4 a year for friends/family.

X2. If i were doing it for a living i would be using many different tools. But they get the job done for what i do.

Back