• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

different way to wire hella 500's

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
i want to wire my new hella 500's so that i can turn them on any time the vehicle is on regardless of wether or not i have high or low beams on. i also wqant to use the factory fog light switch. does anyone have any ideas of how this can be wired easily? i was thinking of doing the same setup as the upgraded headlight harness where i would just use the positive wire leading to one old foglight to switch the relay, but the only problem with that is that the factory fog's are set to only go on with low beams. any suggestions?

Are they already wired from the factory?

Do you notice that they turn off when you activate the highbeams? I do have a fix for that.

As for simply removing them from the parking lights circuit so you can turn them on anytime, just simply provide +12 to the switch from a constant +12 source or an ignition switched source....depending on if you want to be able to turn the light on ANYTIME or only when the key is in the ON position.

I have a solution that's worked well for me, that does what you want it to do; but you have to have the following:

- Late model 97 and up Cherokee. I don't know if this works for older Cherokees
- Aftermarket headlight wiring harness upgrade (which you've done)
- You are using the stock fog light plug/circuit to trigger your Hella fog light relay and wiring harness

I won't go into the details, but when I installed my H4's upgrade, I had a relay problem with the high beams not shutting off when I switched back to low beams. You don't need to be having relay issues fo this fix to work.

The fix was as follows, and it also allowed me to use my fogs at any time whether my XJ is running or not, or if I'm using either low or high beams.

First remove the fuses #3 & #4 at the passenger side fuse box. For now, you will lose use of your fog lamp switch and fog lights, but maintain full function of your hi and low beams without both staying on while switching back and forth. With this option, you'd have to run a whole different circuit (which you have done) for your fog lights to continue to use them with your stock fog light switch

After removing fuses #3 and #4 that control the unused headlight plug (after installing a headlight wiring harness upgrade), you can remove the fog lamp relay located in the distribution panel. You will notice that there is a 5 spade type connector on the relay. If you build a small jumper to by pass the relay, and plug the jumper where plugs 3 & 5 (as labled on the bottom of the relay) would plug into in the panel, you will regain the use of your factory fog lights and the switch! The jumper is nothing more that a short 1" piece of wire with male spades (matching the relay size) solder onto the wire.

Only minor inconvenience is that the switch will always be hot, so you gotta be sure you shut your fogs off each time you're done with them. Nice thing is that the fogs are now always available, plus they will not be affected if you hit the high beams.

Last edited:
Back