• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring LED bumper lights

Well, I made it work. I ended up cutting the 3 colored wires off of the OEM switch, leaving the black intact and just tried different wiring combos until the LEDs worked. I've got it to where the LEDs will come on with the OEM switch, the OEM switch is illuminated when it is turned on, the LEDS will stay on regardless of the headlights being off, standard, or brights.

Excellent - although I'm still mystified; both as to what you did & how/why that worked.

See I put factory fogs in my '00 that did not come with them. There were no connectors for them up front, have a non fog light headlight harness, and on top of that there were no terminals in the PDC for the relays. What there was though was the connector for them behind the black in my 2 switch bezel. So I figured out what I needed to do to add them.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/factory-fog-lights-00-xj-did-not-come-them-220836/

Turns out though that not all XJ's without fog lights don't have all the wiring for the fog lights when it does not come with them. But that some do.

Yeah, I know what you did & in so doing may have improved (i.e. simplified) the factory wiring which, I must confess, I've never understood, not helped by struggling with American wiring diagrams* (I was raised on Lucas ones, with their standard colours, which I can read like a map)
* sorry, suddenly been deserted by my ability to drop in & out of US terminology.

What I did. I used the factory switch and re wired it. And bypassed the factory relay

I left the black one intact from the OEM plug. Put the blue OEM to the blue LED, the orange OEM to the black LED, and the purple OEM to the red LED.

The LEDs will turn on with the OEM switch regardless of there even being a key in the ignition and they will remain on with the lights off, the dims on, or the brights on.

How or why it worked, I don't know. I just did some trial and error and found the right combo.

Now that's a neat trick, as the relay serves no useful purpose other than to comply with the quite common lighting regulation that don't permit foglights with hi beams. Did you achieve that by re-wiring the switch - or was that a separate modification?

the factory switch is a 3 terminal type switch. 12v in, 12v out and ground. super simple to wire. keep the factory look.

the factory switch is a 3 terminal type switch. 12v in, 12v out and ground. super simple to wire. keep the factory look.

My factory switch was 4 wires.

My factory switch was 4 wires.

What year XJ is yours? Mine is a 93. Maybe mine is a odd one. But the factory switch I'm using is a 3 terminal. But either way 4 pin should work out just need to figure out exactly what the extra terminal is for.

Back