• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff protection

Question; how do countersunk holes reduce ring gear deflection over regular bolts? Riddler, RuffStuff, BTF, etc, will reduce deflection due to the thickness compared to a stock thin cover. Countersunk holes are just nice to have.

RTV seals just fine, LubeLockers are nice though but not necessary. -B
The conical heads when torqued down result in immediate pressure when the housing tries to flex, instead of having some "wiggle room" around the shafts on normal bolts. Same idea as the conical bases on TREs and the use of cone washers in assembling steering hardware. I'm not sure I'd trust this really, the "real" way to do this would be to put some pins/studs into the housing that would go into non threaded holes in the cover, similar to the dowel pins on the back of the engine block that mate with the tranny bell housing.

I am on the market for diff protection too...is the ARB cover decent? I like it because it has a dipstick and a magnet in it.
I use a high tech device known as my pinky finger as a dipstick, and you can just stick/bolt/glue/whatever a rare earth magnet to the inside of the cover near the bottom if you really want to.

Back