• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diesel XJ Build/Death thread :)

jrobz23

NAXJA Forum User
So, I never had a chance to do a formal build thread for my 1991 Mercedes turbo diesel XJ. I have driven it. It worked, but then the motor blew. Here is a thread about the event. I am debating selling it if I get a decent offer.

4BT Swap Thread

no pics? no info? no build thread? just posting up to let us know you are thinking about selling it?

:dunno:

HOLLY DROPPED PITMAN ARM!

how about you upload some pictures into this thread? and some tech? kinda bad form to start a thread with nothing but a link to some other set of forums.

While I contemplate selling the bucket of bolts, I might as well give a mini build thread. How ironic that I do it now.

When I got it, it was a total mess. I did extensive metal repair with the good Omix ADA metal replacements and did the underside in bed liner for protection of that nice new metal. I also hit the thing with some OD paint for the Mad Max effect. Here's a few pics:

Omix Metal replacement

Jeep Pic Side

Jeep Pic Front

Under Side

Floor

I got a nice dual 10" fan kit from Jegs. It's relay'd to come on at 180. I retained the stock radiator. I hate the way my coolant pipes route.

Fan Kit

I hated the idea of running a Mercedes oil cooler long term. I had the fittings converted to AN and ran a really nice 10 AN cooler with stainless line.

Oil Cooler

Oil Cooler Fittings

I also have a throttle position sensor rigged on the valve cover for the AW4, which is retained in the swap. I don't have pics of this yet uploaded.

XJs have a 20 gallon tank stock and early ones have a nice easy to access port. I dropped the tank, cleaned it out, and let it fully dry. I swapped out the pump for some simple fuel line. I then ran all new fuel line and removed the stock filter. I reused the factory hard lines as well for a nice clean look. It turned out well. I run a small filter up near the motor. Fuel gauge works.

So there you have it. That's the XJ now pouting in my garage...

If you are interested, shoot me an offer. The worst I can say is no. If you have a stock XJ, and want to do an OM617 swap, lemme know. This can save you countless hours of labor lol. If I get a decent offer, I'll sell it. If not, I'll fix it. I'm rather bummed out about it right now to say the least..

More pics by request:

Link to bunch of Pics

I inherited the engine mated to the trans, hence a lack of adapter pics. The adapter worked well. I tested it for odd balance issues as whatnot.

I also inherited the front suspension. This engine has a front sump which will interfere with a coil front 4x4. I do not like what the previous owner did up there. My thoughts were either relocate the track bar and use a 70s F150 steering box, or convert to leaves as use said steering box. Either option will alleviate the interference of the sump.

What about parting it out? i'll take the adapter ring

It scared me until i drove it on the road. It isn't as bad as it looks. When you see the suspension flex, you see why he did what he did. Backyard engineered, but I've seen worse. There are sight dedicated to worse lol.

Apparently he was better at welding than geometry. I, on the other hand, am not as blissful :)

Last edited:
If I keep it, I'll be going the 4BT route. That will allow a cheap swap back to normal front suspension instead of custom work. I can reuse all my fuel setup. I have enough lift to fit it too so it would't be much worse than swapping in another Merc.

If you want the adapter and a free 600 lb motor mount line up tool, make an offer. The turbo should be fine. This motor also has a coolant chamber that is modded for a stock XJ temp sender (quite nice). It has a jerry rigged, but working, throttle position sensor for the AW4. Also, a functional, but not savory throttle linkage bracket visible in some pics. The screws uses do not interfere with the chain, but I'd opt for something cleaner if I did it myself.

There is some coin in the oil cooler. That rig is trick and worth decent money.It is 10 AN and can be reused unless I get some interest. The converter fittings from Mercedes to 10 AN I can not reuse.

The pump and turbo may be worth something. I wouldn't sell the motor unless the buyer understood they may have some machining to do to run it.

You don't my coolant hoses. I'm keeping the fuel neck. That thing is sweet. I'll use that somewhere somehow. Not sure if there is a pic of that. I don't think there is. Most of the pics of the engine bay are when I first got it.

Last edited:
You most likely see a trend here. If I did it, it is well done and thought out... I know my limits. Either I did it well or I had help from people who will do it well. I'm not afraid to get seasoned help. Thankfully, I have some available.

The guy I bought it from has talent, don't get me wrong, but lacked time and money it seems. He also wasn't the best with wiring, which I've been cleaning up since I got it (about 60% done). What's left is mostly removing the unneeded wiring.

that is the scariest sketchiest steering I have ever seen on this forum... and I don't really see any tech in this thread just you saying what is and what is not for sale :dunno:

... looking at the passenger side motor mount from underneath it looks pretty scary too. I really hope that third bolt at an angle is for a shock absorber of some sort not a motor mount bolt.

Last edited:
Back