• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

did you break em with impact or wrench?

mtnxj said:
X's 2. Although I actually put PB Blaster on them twice, once three days before, and once the day before. Came out easy as pie, went back in with a dab of anti-sieze.

YOU PUT THE SAME BOLTS BACK IN!!!!!!!

Some tool did that to my bro-in laws jeep, 2 of the 4 were original that had made it out once and promptly broke when I touched them. 2 were replacements which did fine. The stock bolts are not hard enough, for your own sake, please remove and replace your bolts while you still can. Never seeze or not, they are inferior material.

On my 1991 XJ (rusted-out POS), 3 out of 4 came out with lots of coaxing and prayer. The first one broke, and was removed from the top down. (Cut open the floor above it, and took it out from there.) I was using a ratchet and an extension BTW.

When I do the shocks on my 1994, I'll be soaking them daily for a week with penetrating fluid. If they snap however, I have a cunning plan in mind that will make the busted bolts redundant.

:)

Broke them with a 3/8 ratchet and socket. I tried saving them once but found it was easier to just break them and punch the nuts out and put new nuts and bolts in.

On my 92 which is only has a few rust spots. I broke 3 out of 4 with a 1/2" drive ratchet. I had soaked them with pb and bg in force spray for 3 weeks.

Same thing on my fathers rust free 01 xj. Broke 3 out of 4 and that was with a 3/8" ratchet. I had soaked those for two weeks. In fact I don't have one friend with an xj that hasn't snapped some of em. Gotta love NJ road grime.

Back