• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did the fuel injector swap along with 99+ intake

richslezak

NAXJA Forum User
Over the new year weekend I took on a partial engine update. Old header was cracked so got a banks revolver. While there I migh as well update the intake manifold and since doing that decided to do the injector swap. Since I cracked the old header, probably due to welded exhaust and no flex pipe and/or bad motor mounts, I got a flex pipe welded in and also installed new M.O.R.E motor mounts. I also removed the rusty's tb spacer. No need for that with the new 99+ intake manifold

I was a bit nervous about he undertaking so waited for a four day weekend to do the job. All went well thanks to many great articles and posts here and other xj forums. I got the right tools for the job and began New Year's Eve from 5-10 then all of New Year's Day and four hours the next day. Took my time and did it right. The major pia task was the damn header bolts. There was one bolt (#1 in the tightening sequence) that took me 45 minutes to get in the hole. I used my gumby/inspector gadget arms and snaked them through the header pipes to get the bolt in. Had a nice cold beer after that ordeal.

Since my xj is a New England car it was somewhat rusty under the hood. Ended stripping the fuel rod and throttle cable bracket and reprinting them. Took the bolts and cleaned them as much as I could.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Cracked header at flange

image.jpg

Cracked header at the collection pipes

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Custom bracket for the fuel line

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
1 little trick that will save you a ton of time swapping these things, is to put the header on the studs. Then start all the bottom bolts, with 1 to 2 turns. Pull the washers out to the bolt head, then put the intake on. The bolts are long enough that you can put the intake on with all the bottom bolts installed a couple turns. As for torquing, a 9/16 shallow universal will do the job.

Mark

Do this swap was the absolute worst job ever, of course I was outside on my back in a gravel driveway. Btw did you use the stock downpipe? If you did there's a crimp in it that you should take out of it.

Last edited:
Thanks Mark. I thought exactly that in hindsight. Next time. Hopefully long time from now.

Haha, you're in socal, we don't leave these things alone. You should make an event or 3. Big Bear/Socalfest is a good run to do.

Mark

Do this swap was the absolute worst job ever, of course I was outside on my back in a gravel driveway. Btw did you use the stock downpipe? If you did there's a crimp in it that you should take out of it.

Using stock bit going to have a down pipe made/installed next. Ugly stupid crimp. What was jeep thinking. Oh yeah had to satisfy the EPA. UGH

You could always heat that area with a torch and push it out. The crimp was clearance for the control arms ect because of the stock motormounts.

Back