• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did the ford 8.8 come in explorers with 4.10's open case?

If I swap in my 8.8 that I have on hand for the 8.25, I will have to get a flange adapter. Will this increase the distance of the yoke to axle center enough that I will have to get a shorter driveshaft?

I didn't on my swap. I ran the spicer 1310 flange adapter and the distance between ujoints is almost exactly the same as the 8.25

You are right, and I apologize if I mislead you in any way. When I did my swap almost all the articles that I read stated to make sure to get a 96 and up that has disc brakes. Now, when I searched for a few minutes, I came across an article that states that all 91 and up Explorer shafts had 31 spline axles. Here are a few articles that I pulled up real quick.

One website says this:
In 1995 to 2000 trim, the Ford Explorer 8.8 rear diff is roughly the same width as the Dana 35 (3/4-1" narrower), has enormous tubes (3.25" diameter), an 8.8" ring gear, 31 spline axle shafts, factory disk brakes and come with 3.55/3.73 or 4.11 gears and sometimes a Trac-Lok diff. (Pre-95 Ford 8.8's and those found in Rangers and mustangs usually come with 28 spline shafts and drum brakes.)
http://members.cox.net/rough-riders/tech_page/ford8.8/ford8_8.html

Another website says this:
The '95 and newer were also factory equipped with 31 spline axle shafts. The pre-'95 8.8"s came equipped with a weaker (28)-spline axle shafts.
http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=261419

A ranger website says this:

Most Rangers are equipped with the Ford 7.5-inch rear axle with several exceptions:

1) 1986-up "Incomplete vehicles" also known as "Chassis Cabs" were frequently equipped with 8.8" 28-spline axles, the '86-88 examples are distinctive as they are the only 8.8" Ranger rears that have no provisions for a RABS sensor.

2) 1990 & up 4.0-liter Rangers. These are ALWAYS equipped with the 8.8-inch 28-spline rear axle.

3) 1998-up 4x4 supercab Rangers regardless of powerplant are frequently equipped with 8.8" axles

4) FX4 Rangers 99-current come equipped with an 8.8 rear and 31-spline axles with either 4.10 or 4.56 axle ratios.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html

Notice that some rangers came with 31 spline shafts, but it was only the 99 and up FX4 ones.

Good luck with the swap.
So why arenn't people looking for the ranger 8.8s with 4.56s?? Seems like the best thing in the world for me lol. Are they really that much narrower?

8.8 Users:
Models
Years
Notes
Ranger 4.0
1990-1992
Width is same as other pre-93 axles, 28 spline
3.08 (4x2), 3.55, 3.73 and 4.10 (4x4) factory ratios
Either limited slip or open differential
10" drum brakes

Ranger 4.0
B4000

1993+
1994+

Width is same as other 93+ axles (1.5" wider than pre 93), 28 spline
Ratios and differential options as noted above

Ranger FX4
2002+
Width is same as other 93+ axles, 31 spline
4.10's and Torsen limited slip from factory

Explorer
Navajo

1990-1994
Width is 1.5" wider than 93+ Ranger, 3" wider than pre-93, 31 spline
Spring perches must be fabricated and welded on top
Stock spring perches can be used to lower the truck (like a flip kit)
Shock mounts must be fabricated and welded on
Very common to find ltd. Slip, usually 3.73 or 4.10 (4x4) gears

Explorer
Mountaineer

1995-2001
Same as above, also has rear discs

well, I just got back from walking the ENTIRE HUGE ASS junkyard near me and looked at anywhere between 50-75 exploders and only one of them had factory 4.10's in it and the rear was G-O-N-E - this sucks looks like I am going to have to get one and regear but I was so tired after the 4 hours of walking I just left cuz I needed a drink and to clear my head

Here in Tampa, Fl... They want $300 for an 8.8 pulled.

Geeeeez....not bad really.....disc brakes and a locker.....in my case I could sell my old 8 chry....r..end w/ truetrack to make up for having to redo the front alittle.....yeah 4 w disc! and a lot tougher deal...splines etc.....win win I think. :eeks1:

yeah after reading this thread and watching old extreme 4x4 I can't wait to catch up on a few things I need and then try to find one of these.......geeeez nothing negative here!!!! :sunshine:

I think i am gonna get one and keep th LS and put an ECTED in my Turdy!

another note here...just found out that the disc brake parking brake shoes for the explorer 8.8 are the same as a 94-98 ZJ - never know what you have laying around...

Back