• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diagnosing a noise

RWKHaus has a deal for both sets of gears and master install kits for under $500, which is a nice price to me. I'll check JustDifferentials and Ron's to see what their prices are. I can't afford lockers for a while now that I've gotta pay for this.

In either case I sill want to double-check the transfer case chain before I buy anything, if for nothing else than my peace of mind.

Confirmed tonight - transfer case chain is totally fine. I put it into 4HI, parked, and lifted one of the front wheels. Turning the tire with a hand on the front driveshaft I felt about 4 times more slop in the front diff than I felt in the transfer case.

I did hear some noise today that sounded similar but not the same. I only heard it while stopped at a light and it went away when I shifted into idle or actually accelerated. I checked the flex plate and bolts, they are all tight and there are no cracks visible in the flex plate from the inspection panel.

Interesting, never thought of that one. I'll check.

What's crazy is now I know that my bearings are shot and gears are questionable, so anything I find is on top of fixing them.

Could be, mine was more of a horrible grinding crunching metallic scraping noise. And then the engine stalled :laugh2:

It did restart and make it another hundred or two miles before completely failing.

You would hear it from the bellhousing for sure though, even at idle in park probably. If you haven't so far and it is failing, you will soon.

I don't hear that noise in park or neutral, only in gear at a standstill or going very slowly. The other noise (first one) was while I was driving, going around 30-45 mph.

How do your motor/tranny mounts look, then even on top of that the bolts in to the block and tranny?

Apologize if its stated somewhere in the thread...

The reason I ask is maybe with the tranny in gear it moves enough to have your fan contact something or push something out of alignment... I mean I am reaching here but it would be something that I would check.

Sorry bout your gears too, I had mine installed by him.... Had no idea, I even searched naxja cause I knew he was here for a while. I know my front is good cause I had the tech check backlash when he installed my locker but who knows about my poor 8.25. for what it's worth he said everything looked good and took a picture of the pattern for me. Might need to buy a full case locker for the rear now so I can have the rear backlash checked ;)

Wish you luck,

Last edited:
Tranny mount was replaced last summer, so I hope it's not messed up. I'll check the motor mounts and bellhousing bolts tonight as well. If the mounts are bad I'll be giving Brown Dog a call since they are only a couple years old.

kastein - I've been hearing that noise on and off for a while, so if the torque converter only fails catastrophically then that's probably not it.

My other jeep makes a funny rasping noise sometimes that might be the torque converter too, but after my last TQ failure I have been expecting it to explode for months now and it hasn't yet. Been doing it since July/August or so.

I get more vibration with at a stop with the Brown Dog mounts. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a loose heat shield.

Back