• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diagnosing a noise

Jesus :shocked:

I'll do that on a beat-up diff I have to put a new pinion seal or something on, that has stock gearing in it, on my jeep... someone else's? gears other than 3.55? Yeah, it's getting checked.

I can't believe someone would do that.

Nothing wrong with re-using the old shims, they aren't a wear item and typically provide a good base line to make adjustments from. I re-use the bearings on my own axles if they seem good because I'm a cheap arse and am the one doing the work anyways. I refuse to re-use the bearings on a "customers" axle.

Pinion depth looks good in the pics but I feel it had too much back-lash. Hard to tell in the pics, easy to cure while doing new bearings. Gears themselves look good in the pics. If you can swing it though I'd say now is the time to re-gear.

Every howto I've ever read has told me not to reuse the shims from the original setup unless just replacing the bearings. I always wondered why, but it does seem kinda hack.

I should note that next week will be the first time I have ever done gears myself :shiver: not sure if I'm looking forward to it or not. It's going to be a set of free used 3.55s going into a high pinion 30 on a YJ that came with 3.07s, so we figured even if the gears get trashed, chalk it up as a $120 learning experience and try again with another set of free 3.55s.

As long as the shim isn't bent or damaged how is it hack? And how are you going to sit there in judge having no prior experience and only having read a few online write-ups? The shim is a static item, all it does is sit there. It doesn't act like a seal, wear surface, or any other such purpose. You might as well say that re-using an old housing is hack for all the difference it makes.

I know, I always figured gear installers must know something I don't, because literally every person I've ever talked to or read a writeup by has said not to reuse shims. It didn't seem logical but I figured they knew better... I feel like I already said that.

The rest? I feel like I can say that someone who doesn't actually set preload, reuses used bearings on customer diffs, and apparently does other sketchy shit is a hack, without having done that myself. Correct me if I'm wrong there.

Oh, so you know Josh, Ken? :D

Oh the hell I caught from my wife today when I told her that given the issues with the front bearings that the rears are probably not far behind, and that new gears all around weren't out of the question.

She asked if I could go after the guy who installed them wrong, and I had to suppress laughter.

Just buy her dinner, roses, and then whilst making sweet passionate love to her whisper "4.88's" in her ear. :D

Who has the best deals on decent quality gears? I emailed rwkhaussupply, but we'll see what he comes back with.

I'm just hoping I don't go through all of this and find that it's the transfer case chain making all the noise.

Who has the best deals on decent quality gears? I emailed rwkhaussupply, but we'll see what he comes back with.

I'm just hoping I don't go through all of this and find that it's the transfer case chain making all the noise.

PM FrankZ/SeriousOffroad and see if he has any gear specials going...

Just buy her dinner, roses, and then whilst making sweet passionate love to her whisper "4.88's" in her ear. :D
with his luck she will tell him that 4.88 is being generous :wow: (just kidding... :anon:)

I would drop the front driveshaft, put it in 4x4, and check the amount of play between the front and rear outputs now then, before you get any further into it. Also you can stick your finger or a screwdriver through the fill plug and check tension on the chain, if it has a lot of slop in it, it might be that. But by the time you'd get funny noises out of it, you would probably be getting popping/jerking/really bad noises in 4x4 and/or a lack of functioning 4x4.

Ron's Machining Service has good prices on USA Standard gears and knock-off Spartan Lunchbox lockers.

JustDifferentials is where I typically go, or Summit Racing.

Also you can stick your finger or a screwdriver through the fill plug and check tension on the chain, if it has a lot of slop in it, it might be that. But by the time you'd get funny noises out of it, you would probably be getting popping/jerking/really bad noises in 4x4 and/or a lack of functioning 4x4.

Agreed -- I've had multiple bad chains over the years, and while they popped and jerked, they never sounded like a box of rocks.

Back