• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Decided Im gonna teach myself to do gears

dick.breakey

NAXJA Forum User
yep. im gonna take that plunge. ive really wanted to learn and see why its so difficult for myself. ittl give me a chance to really see how much mechanical aptitude I really have. since the jeep is not my dd, i can take the time to figure it out. im going to pay attention to some write ups and study a lot before hand. Im probably gonna start this this weekend if i have the time. i figure ittl take me a week between work and the girlfirend and traveling and what not. im giving myelf till next friday so I can get it to ACRO and back if I cant get it done. We'll see and ill update as I go along.

Do you have the required tools? Magnetic indicator base? Dial Indicator?
Press for removing/installing bearings? Torque Wrench? Have you made a set of set up bearings (worth the expense and effort)?

Not trying to dis you but if you have a deadline, make sure you have access to the tools necessary.

Last edited:
I can help you if you run into issues. Ill be out of town this weekend but let me know if you want my number.

Do you have the required tools? Magnetic indicator base? Dial Indicator?
Press for removing/installing bearings? Torque Wrench? Have you made a set of set up bearings (worth the expense and effort)?

No. Will I by time I start? Yes. Im going to do(and am doing) a good bit of research before I start.

I can help you if you run into issues. Ill be out of town this weekend but let me know if you want my number.

Yeah I would like it. Im not going to be able to do much this weekend with my gf's dad in town but im going to start setting up my work area in the garage this weekend. Then Im going out of town next weekend for 3 days so ittl be a lot of work day night working.

If you have the tools, it is not hard once you get the hang of it. You just have to be a perfectionist and have a lot of patience.

I admire your ambition. I don't even do my own gears, but my gear guy is VERY good and efficient. HAHA I don't have the patience for it.

Thanks. And thats good to know haha. Ill keep you updated on weather I get it done or not. Im confident I will in time. but Im going to woodland on the 21st so ill get it to you no later than tuesday before then if I cant figure it out.

I have done several sets of gears and it is not difficult to do with the correct tools (that I have) and the patience to do it correctly.

Here is what I have always "preached" to others. IF you want to do it to learn how to do it, then it is worth the effort. IF you want to do it to save the time/money it is NOT worth it.

The reality is that although I am completely capable of doing gears and have done numerous sets myself successfully I USUALLY pay somone else to do it because it doesn't pay well to do it myself MOST of the time. This is not always the case, it really depends on the application and project.

Tools that would be necessary:
Dial Indicator and magnetic base

You can do it without the rest of these tools but I probably wouldn't recommend it:
Press
Set up bearings

I have never used a case spreader and don't think it is necessary on an of the axles I have done.

Are you just doing gears or are you adding a locker? changing the carrier?

THE BIGGEST Pain in the arse is the installation/removal of the carrier each time you need to change the shims! A set of install bears will make the job infinitly less work! You can make a set with your old bearings if you are able to remove them without damaging them (not usually!)

Michael

Brave.

If possible I'd try and have someone who's done them before walk you through the process. Even if this means paying for the labor, and just being there to watch and ask questions. There's tons of little tips and tricks to learn to make the process go easier. Going into it blind would be tough.

I helped re-gear my first set of axles, and had my gear guy walk me through the process last time I re-setup my 30. It's a straight forward job, but takes a ton of patience, and a good understanding of the parts inside the diff (what controls backlash, what controls pinion depth, coast vs drive, etc). The right tools also make life much easier.

This is one thing you do not want to screw up on though. It's an expensive mistake. I've talked with guys who setup their own gears and later had them lock up on them at 60mph. Granted they probably shouldn't have been inside the diff anyways, but still.

Last edited:
Never needed a case spreader on a D30/D35 but I recommend it on D44's.

Thanks for the response. I went to see sideshow on my lunch break and picked up a lot of what is necessary to complete the job. being able to borrow a lot of the main tools is why Im doing this, including some setup bearings. i wouldnt have found it completely necessary to learn now if i had to buy everything. now i just need parts, which Im picking up after work.

since im going from 3.55 to 4.56 im getting a new carrier and im switching my spartan locker over from the current housing over to the new one. thattl be fun.

and im picking up a press tomorrow. figure i can use one at another time too so i might as well get one.

I have done several sets of gears and it is not difficult to do with the correct tools (that I have) and the patience to do it correctly.

Here is what I have always "preached" to others. IF you want to do it to learn how to do it, then it is worth the effort. IF you want to do it to save the time/money it is NOT worth it.

The reality is that although I am completely capable of doing gears and have done numerous sets myself successfully I USUALLY pay somone else to do it because it doesn't pay well to do it myself MOST of the time. This is not always the case, it really depends on the application and project.

You can do it without the rest of these tools but I probably wouldn't recommend it:
Press
Set up bearings

I have never used a case spreader and don't think it is necessary on an of the axles I have done.

THE BIGGEST Pain in the arse is the installation/removal of the carrier each time you need to change the shims! A set of install bears will make the job infinitly less work! You can make a set with your old bearings if you are able to remove them without damaging them (not usually!)

Michael

Torx,

yeah i went over and met with sideshow, he pointed out a few thigns to help the process along. things i wouldnt have known or necessarily have paid as much attention to while going through the process.

Brave.

If possible I'd try and have someone who's done them before walk you through the process. Even if this means paying for the labor, and just being there to watch and ask questions. There's tons of little tips and tricks to learn to make the process go easier. Going into it blind would be tough.

I helped re-gear my first set of axles, and had my gear guy walk me through the process last time I re-setup my 30. It's a straight forward job, but takes a ton of patience, and a good understanding of the parts inside the diff (what controls backlash, what controls pinion depth, coast vs drive, etc). The right tools also make life much easier.

This is one thing you do not want to screw up on though. It's an expensive mistake. I've talked with guys who setup their own gears and later had them lock up on them at 60mph. Granted they probably shouldn't have been inside the diff anyways, but still.

oh and also, im using THIS awesome writeup on how to do the gear change. if I didnt have this I wouldnt even attempt it. but since I do, im gonna make this axle mine. :clap:

Press
Set up bearings

Michael
If you have never used a case spreader than you have never done them right and as for setup bearings if you have the right tools you so not need them.. and one more thing. A torque wrench both in pounds and ft pounds is by far important especially for up the pinion. That's my take.. I only have done just about axle ever made.

i picked up yukon pinion/carrier bearing puller, USA made case spreader and a beam style 1/2" drive inch/lb torque wrench in antcipation of doing my axles, then i bought axles already done... maybe one day ill put them to use lol

Thankfully I don't have to pull any bearings. Just install them. New gears and carrier help with that.

I started the process. Got my 30 pulled and on stands.

Here's the pics

4c163959-f1c2-197c.jpg

New diff covers

4c163959-f1d7-c41b.jpg

4c163959-f1e6-1d4b.jpg

Something is missing!!

4c163959-f20c-4403.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325920510.021595.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325920553.357880.jpg

If you have never used a case spreader than you have never done them right and as for setup bearings if you have the right tools you so not need them.. and one more thing. A torque wrench both in pounds and ft pounds is by far important especially for up the pinion. That's my take.. I only have done just about axle ever made.

You are ignoring the fact that several members have performed successful and proven gear swaps without the use of a case spreader. I find your comments egotistical and self serving. How exactly would you use a case spreader on a ford 9" or a toyota axle or a 14 bolt? Riddle me this master gear installer? How am I performing gear installs on these mentioned axles incorrectly without the use of a case spreader?

2xtreme's comments are on point and accurate. Specifically the fact you probably won't save time or money installing gears yourself. Most times I encounter discouraging comments like yours, it's a semi-professional trying to inflate and exaggerate the difficulty related to a gear install to discourage the DIY'er, in this case dick.breakey.

Back