• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DD Steering upgrade which one?

Tomorrow evening. Gotta get some work done so I can afford to pay my bills at SFR and Bishop Buehl on the new project car....

(which btw, will get steering with jam nuts)

another reason not to run Jam nut steering. Cal does. .!.:D.!.

One races koh the other races a keyboard. I'm taking cals advice.
a009e080866dfd3c480e28decc085258.jpg
never had any issues with my jam nuts.

One races koh the other races a keyboard. I'm taking cals advice.
a009e080866dfd3c480e28decc085258.jpg
never had any issues with my jam nuts.

congratulations.

I have managed to keep my Jam nuts in perfect working order 95% of the time.
I have also managed to keep my Pinch bolts working 100% of the time without ever maintaining them. .

once in a while a rock gets on my lower link jam nuts just right and spins one loose. a problem that is almost impossible to have happen if they were pinch bolts.

make no mistake, Pinch bolts will stay tight when Jam nuts will not. I have watched many times a rock contacting a Control arm or steering link and loosen the jam nuts. that does not happen with the same frequency or ease with pinch bolts.

let me be clear:
I would not hesitate to buy a steering product that used jam nuts, I have made and used several.

I am however not foolish enough to believe that Jam nuts are in any way better than pinch bolts. easier to fabricate? certainly.

once again, ask yourself. Why would IRO, a company known for being the budget cheap option, change their steering from a simple jam nut system to pinch bolts? something that is more complicated and more expensive.

my guess is they figured out what the OEMs and the guys like synergy and currie already knew. pinch bolts are more effective and safer in most instances.

Last edited:
I've seen many pinch bolt adjusters bend and fail, never seen a jam nut break off or bend. Pinch bolts require no periodic maintenance making them superior for OEM, DD, aftermarket selling to John q. public who will never check it again, etc. Jam nuts can be knocked loose and you should check them regularly. As far as strength goes it is pretty obvious that a 360 degree threaded connection is stronger than one which is already cracked, even if it is held together by a clamp. How many control arms have you seen that run pinch bolts?

once again, ask yourself. Why would IRO, a company known for being the budget cheap option, change their steering from a simple jam nut system to pinch bolts? something that is more complicated and more expensive.

my guess is they figured out what the OEMs and the guys like synergy and currie already knew. pinch bolts are more effective and safer in most instances.

When you're buying wholesale and manufacturing in quantity pinch bolts aren't more expensive or more complicated. In many cases they are actually dirt cheap and simple. I don't know what the reason they switched is, but I know if you're loosening a jam nut by hitting it on a rock it wasn't properly torqued to begin with. The problem with any large fastener is not the design, it's that people don't tighten them properly.

BTW, I built the car that Currie won the first and second KOH EMC with. John Currie himself did the steering and suspension setup, and it used jam nuts everywhere.

When you're buying wholesale and manufacturing in quantity pinch bolts aren't more expensive or more complicated. In many cases they are actually dirt cheap and simple.
so you're telling me that a stamped collar, a bolt, a nut, and splitting the tie-rod and retapping/cleaning the threads is cheaper and less complicated than just having a nut? how is that possible?

I don't know what the reason they switched is, but I know if you're loosening a jam nut by hitting it on a rock it wasn't properly torqued to begin with. The problem with any large fastener is not the design, it's that people don't tighten them properly.

I managed to keep my short arm Jam nuts from ever coming loose. I tightened them in a vice and checked them once in a while. but being short arms they barely came into contact with rocks. once I switched to the longarms, I noticed right away that they would come loose if I landed a link on a rock the right direction (think using the rock as a giant friction wrench)

I had/ve seen the longarm guys and the guys with low slung tie-rods have this problem periodically.

you hit anything the right way with a 5000lb hammer and it will move.

BTW, I built the car that Currie won the first and second KOH EMC with. John Currie himself did the steering and suspension setup, and it used jam nuts everywhere.

congratulations. Jam nuts can be work just fine. I never said they couldn't. that doesn't make them better in every application. in fact, I would never want a jam nut in the knuckle side of the drag link on systems with the angle that the iro steering (and most other bolt on kits) run. way to much leverage against the nut. I don't even like a pinch bolt down there, much rather a solid connection, but the pinch bolt will fare much better keeping the connection tight. not the best for clearance.

talking about true-high steer where the force on the link is much more parallel, I wouldn't bat an eye at a jam nut.

so you're telling me that a stamped collar, a bolt, a nut, and splitting the tie-rod and retapping/cleaning the threads is cheaper and less complicated than just having a nut? how is that possible?

Because you're not doing any of that. You're buying it all from happy china co. who is stamping them out in the millions.

I like your backpeddle on currie though. You used them as an example for doing it your way, I just pointed out that they don't even do it that way on their own stuff, only on the mass production stuff you buy off the shelf.

You're an idiot.

=)

helpful.:rolleyes:

Because you're not doing any of that. You're buying it all from happy china co. who is stamping them out in the millions.

you're still buying all those pieces and having the extra work done on the part. yea, and for the record, every bolt/nut I've ever seen used in a pinch bolt combo was legit grade8.

I like your backpeddle on currie though. You used them as an example for doing it your way, I just pointed out that they don't even do it that way on their own stuff, only on the mass production stuff you buy off the shelf.

I didn't backpedal on shit. the OP of this little discussion used them. and they do use pinch bolts on their steering in this OEM style discussion. (read the thread title (DD Steering Upgrade)

look at the angle of the bolt on stuff. its not good for jam nuts.

When you're buying wholesale and manufacturing in quantity pinch bolts aren't more expensive or more complicated. In many cases they are actually dirt cheap and simple. I don't know what the reason they switched is, but I know if you're loosening a jam nut by hitting it on a rock it wasn't properly torqued to begin with. The problem with any large fastener is not the design, it's that people don't tighten them properly.

Roger That, if you've got actual "man hands" then you can get enough torque on that jam nut to twist that bar up like a pretzel on the trail and the jam nut still makes you sweat and cuss coming off just to get that mess untangled.

For the record I'm gonna run this silly pinch bolt thing since I already drilled the holes but when that lower clamp gets ate up(which it will) and I have to cut it off with a grinder it will definitely get replaced with a threaded piece of chromo sleeved over what's already there instead of another mallmobile clamp thingy.

JCR 1-ton over knuckle with TnT's track bar with over axle mount.. IMO best DD and Wheeler set up there is.. 1ton TREs last for almost 3 years of driving and wheeling before 1 decided to wear loose, loads of clearance and the TNT track bar maked it easy to get my angles right..

e789146e75424294956bbb5725880db7.jpg

Hey guys? There's so many opinions here so could you guys post your personal setups with pics and possibly links to purchase the parts? Thanks again.

Back