• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana44 Weld On Coil Spring Perches

XJoshua

NAXJA Forum User
:scottm: I have a rear dana44 from a wagoneer, and now Im out to find a front dana44. But before I do that, the wagoneer front dana44 is passenger side pumpkin, but there are driver side ones which I have found and plan to pull asap. My question though, its a leaf spring suspension on the front. Are there weld on coil spring perches, like there is for leaf spring perches?

There is but don't forget you need to weld on control arm mounts, track bar, etc etc.

Yea forogt about those, dana44 isnt gonna do me any good if it doesnt stay under the Heep. Well Im going to assume those are also available since the coil spring perches are available. Which site offers them?

I checked out my RE Cataloge and they have the TJ Custom Front Axle Kit. This should work since the XJ and TJ have the same suspension correct?

Last edited:
XJoshua said:
Yea forogt about those, dana44 isnt gonna do me any good if it doesnt stay under the Heep. Well Im going to assume those are also available since the coil spring perches are available. Which site offers them?

I checked out my RE Cataloge and they have the TJ Custom Front Axle Kit. This should work since the XJ and TJ have the same suspension correct?
yup, the waggy has a leaf spring perch cast into the center section, the RE kit uses a bridge for the ds uca which won't fit around the centersection but the rest will work.

I've seen some pictures floating around where a guy just cut the leaf spring mount off (the cast in section on the drivers side) enough to clearance for the bridge. I also understand that Rusty's makes a kit for about half the RE cost, but haven't had a chance to call them yet. The info came from XtremeXJ.

53guy said:
I've seen some pictures floating around where a guy just cut the leaf spring mount off (the cast in section on the drivers side) enough to clearance for the bridge. I also understand that Rusty's makes a kit for about half the RE cost, but haven't had a chance to call them yet. The info came from XtremeXJ.

that axle was a 77-79 HD44 3/4 ton ford. i know rustys was selling beefy PS upper CA brackets, anybody know?

and for a drivers side upper arm bracket? this is what im gonna use. love it
FORDDANA44FRONT.JPG

been there... dun that...
Everyone remembers Rig Bed (switch the R and the B)
He brought me a camper special D44 with a cast in leaf perch.
I could only weld about the outside half of the coil pad to the axle tube. So I had to make some custom tabs and other stuff the have enough weld on the tube to support the the spring pad and the bridge which was welded to it. Lot of PITA work but it drives nicely...

Why don't you cut about 2" off the spring perch? I've done it with a sawzall, some cutoff wheels, and grinder. Everything is just peachy and have room to apply brackets and do not believe it has altered the integrity of the the diff housing. Just as much tube support on both sides of housing and plenty of room for bracketry...

Back