• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana30 on 33"

Çrestfa||en

NAXJA Forum User
I want to know if anyone has blown their front dana30 running 33s and a locker I've been considering trying to find a 29spl 8 1/4 or D44 so I can go to bigger tires. But dont want to blow the 30 up

ive got a dana 30 and arb locker. i dont go full throttle, it definatly could not handle that but, i havent broke anything ........ yet

OX, D30, doesn't matter what kind of u-joints, this is what an Atlas turn can do...
picture.JPG

I am easy on the gas, I run extreme trails, and I do rocks. I've only fragged three axle shafts in the past two years though.

Jes

So i'm assuming a D30, no locker, 33"s is ok? No extreme trails and DD. Would I be pushing it with the same and 35's?

they make 8.25 front ends?

The quick answer is that I wouldn't run anything but a D30 for 33" tires for offroad use, unless you just have to drop the coin on some fancy shaved clearance axle. The clearance loss of a 44 does not justify the strength gain for 33" tires...as we all know, both axles use the same 297x u-joints.

I do run a 44, but that's because I ultimately got tired of the caster vs. pinion problem with 6" of lift, and the D30 ball joints were not lasting with a lot of road miles. In order to do hubs, locker, gears, steering conversion, trackbar relocation and maybe upgrade the axle shafts...a D30 is priced an awful lot like a 44, and then you run 35's instead of 33's. And you do a Ford 8.8 instead of a Chryco 8.25, which will also end up cheaper due to the discs on the 8.8.

Anyway, I like the larger axles for 35's vs. running 33's, but you have to spend an awful lot to get there. Stay with the 33's and D30 unless the trails you run require larger tires and everything that goes with them.

Nay

Get the 30/30...

I have heard a lot of good things about the new Warn/ARB 30/30 kit. Basically, 30 spline shafts (D44 strength), and Air Locker. I'm having mine installed next week. With 297 joints too, the set up should be fine. I've heard a lot of ppl using the same set up on wranglers with 35's without problems.

well I am debating a lot on how much work for the amount of gain and it actually sounds like just saying to hell with it and going 2 dana44s would be better. Since I would eventually want to run 35s. Either way I will have to regear and do a significant amount of lift. I've been hitting trails with 3inches and 29s and a locked rear, that would blow the axle with bigger tires so I think in the mean time a front locker will due tell I save the money up to build some dana44s. Seems like everytime I put money into the jeep I get to another obstacle that requires a new modification or piece of hardware.

Nice movie LOCKED I've hit a lot of that kind of terrain and ussually the front axle just hops,spins, and bounces tell the rear pushes her over.

I saw somewhere, that there is a new set of 30 axles with ujoints. Supposed to be as strong as 60 axles. I can't remember who makes them though, OX maybe. I think it was in some SEMA coverage in a magazine. Probably super expensive.

I've got a Lockright, with 33" TSL's (bias), and knock-on-wood, haven't broken anything yet. However, I do carry spare shafts. A few of my TJ-driving friends with 35's have grenaded U joints, but that's about it.

Back