• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 60-1su build 98 E350 van

NCCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a dana 60 out of the rear of a 98 e350 this week. Its the smooth bottom, 3.5" tubes, 1/2" wall, d70 spindles/hubs, etc. I'm in the middle of tearing it down, cut brackets off the housing, pulled R and P, pulled hubs, seals, bearings, etc. I'm not sure if I'll narrow it or leave it with the stock off center pumpkin - its about 4" offset to Pass side. I've seen a few of the builds on here.

This will be a slow process, as in a few years, as my kids are very young so we dont do the hardcore wheeling yet. Eventual plan is for 5.3L LS and 37" tires, ARB and 4.88s. Think streetable family rig.

If I bump up to 35spline shafts, will it make my Ring and Pinion the fuse in my rear? Or does it not matter on 37" tires, locker, 4.88? Or should I save my money and stick with stock 32 spline shafts for my weak link? or spend a few more bucks and do the jana kit? I know ericsxj and robznumbersletters have one, and moparmaniac has one on 40s behind a 440. My gut says the 60 ring and pinion will live just fine behind a 300hp LS on 37s.

thoughts?

For a family rig that will see occasional road time around town, and occasional drive to the trail/campsite, should I waste my time narrowing it (and then the front whenever I find a suitable axle), or leave it stock width? I havent looked or measured, but I dont think there will be any issues with clearance with the offset diff

You want my honest thoughts? A 60 is overkill, even for a future v8 powerplant.

Read here http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1033464

My good friend built it, it was as good a road driver as a wheeler and the axles held up great off road. Personally i would hate to wheel a rig on 37s with a big fat 60 underneath it. As far as the width in the SE a stock width rig gives you lots of options. I had a full body cherokee on near stock width axles and 37s that was a great wheeler. It gives you many more line options on the trail.

You want my honest thoughts?

Personally i would hate to wheel a rig on 37s with a big fat 60 underneath it..

It won't be too bad. My 14B is only sitting on 35's (well 34's) and last year it got hung up pretty bad a couple times but this year after being shaved it made a big difference. Of course I got my MJ with these axles already in it so it was a no brainer for me. With a stock renix 4.0L and fairly small tires It's cheap insurance...if I break that axle...someone better call a helicopter since I just rolled down the mountain.

Are you sure the 60 is a 60 and not a 61? I've seen folks get a d-60 and it wasn't...sounds like you know what you have but I like to throw that out there just in case.

I picked up a dana 60 out of the rear of a 98 e350 this week. Its the smooth bottom, 3.5" tubes, 1/2" wall, d70 spindles/hubs, etc. I'm in the middle of tearing it down, cut brackets off the housing, pulled R and P, pulled hubs, seals, bearings, etc. I'm not sure if I'll narrow it or leave it with the stock off center pumpkin - its about 4" offset to Pass side. I've seen a few of the builds on here.

This will be a slow process, as in a few years, as my kids are very young so we dont do the hardcore wheeling yet. Eventual plan is for 5.3L LS and 37" tires, ARB and 4.88s. Think streetable family rig.

If I bump up to 35spline shafts, will it make my Ring and Pinion the fuse in my rear? Or does it not matter on 37" tires, locker, 4.88? Or should I save my money and stick with stock 32 spline shafts for my weak link? or spend a few more bucks and do the jana kit? I know ericsxj and robznumbersletters have one, and moparmaniac has one on 40s behind a 440. My gut says the 60 ring and pinion will live just fine behind a 300hp LS on 37s.

thoughts?

For a family rig that will see occasional road time around town, and occasional drive to the trail/campsite, should I waste my time narrowing it (and then the front whenever I find a suitable axle), or leave it stock width? I havent looked or measured, but I dont think there will be any issues with clearance with the offset diff

I run a D60 with 35 spline shafts on 42 SXII's. I have yet to break that rear. Well except for the diff cover.. :gag: I doubt you will ever break that R & P unless you do what I did..... Back into a rock with the factory cover. Is it overkill for a set a 37's? Maybe, but do you think it might one day go bigger?

You want my honest thoughts? A 60 is overkill, even for a future v8 powerplant.

Read here http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1033464

My good friend built it, it was as good a road driver as a wheeler and the axles held up great off road. Personally i would hate to wheel a rig on 37s with a big fat 60 underneath it. As far as the width in the SE a stock width rig gives you lots of options. I had a full body cherokee on near stock width axles and 37s that was a great wheeler. It gives you many more line options on the trail.

I will be the first to admit that I was surprised at how well the axles held up at the crawl when he brought it there. That being said, didn't I hear about some breakage after that on that rig? Might have been motor or tranny though. I don't remember what it was though. Also, Isn't Tim is running a sticky on a 44 front now? I have been surprised at the strength of the D44 and 37's in recent years with the addition of RCV's. I am a firm believer in xj's with big tires and factory width. I have had issues with mine going places that others on smaller tires walked up. Then again I think I need a sticky tire.

I will be the first to admit that I was surprised at how well the axles held up at the crawl when he brought it there. That being said, didn't I hear about some breakage after that on that rig? Might have been motor or tranny though. I don't remember what it was though. Also, Isn't Tim is running a sticky on a 44 front now? I have been surprised at the strength of the D44 and 37's in recent years with the addition of RCV's. I am a firm believer in xj's with big tires and factory width. I have had issues with mine going places that others on smaller tires walked up. Then again I think I need a sticky tire.

Marcus has been running sticky 37's on a 44 with RCV's for few years.

I've seen team willys thread. May be talking to him about the cage eventually.

Part of my thinking behind the 60 is 'set it and forget it'. I'm think behind an LS and on 37s, that axle will probably live forever. I would love to never have to think about it. And even if something did let go, I could still get home on the FF hubs.

I doubt I'll ever go >37" tires, but how many times has that been said...I think while I have young kids in the house, it will probably stay in streetable shape. I hope.

Yes, the guy from Gulches that was riding with me. The guy that helped flip you back on to your tires... twice.

Right..... I was really refering to his rig. IIRC it wasnt there that day... :cheers:

I've seen team willys thread. May be talking to him about the cage eventually.

Part of my thinking behind the 60 is 'set it and forget it'. I'm think behind an LS and on 37s, that axle will probably live forever. I would love to never have to think about it. And even if something did let go, I could still get home on the FF hubs.

I doubt I'll ever go >37" tires, but how many times has that been said...I think while I have young kids in the house, it will probably stay in streetable shape. I hope.

Personally I dont think that a d60 and 37's is overver kill. Tyler would be a good stop for a cage.

So there is what I believe to be a tone ring for the speedo sensor on the stock carrier. Do I need to save this ring for use with the new carrier/gear set for proper spacing? Or sense I will eventually be going with a new carrier for 4.56 and up, will this spacer be accounted for?

I've been reading about the uses of thick and thin gear sets, which is what got me thinking about that tone ring. From what I understand if I use the proper carrier/locker, that means I don't need thick cut gears to bridge the gap.

Any advice on the tone ring?

zy4azaba.jpg

Had it sandblasted for $25 at a local place, did the hubs as well. I'm gonna prime it this weekend, and it will probably sit like that for a while as I collect parts. Planning on 35spline shafts, 4.88 gears, arb, disc brake swap with chevy parts, call it done. I'll probably order a cover, and ubolt eliminator spring pads from ruff stuff, and some shock mounts as well.

I have a seal/bearing press kit on the way from amazon (lisle I think). Never used these but had good reviews. Also have all the bearings, races, and seals for the hubs on the way. I'll get those put back together and back onto the housing.

For future reference, the part numbers from timken for the hub parts are below

Inner bearing: 387AS
Inner race: 382A
Inner seal: 9864S
Outer bearing/race: Set38

These are for the e350 full floater rear dana 60-isu hubs.

Timken has an awesome vehicle search site at http://www.showmetheparts.com/timkenmobile/

Back