• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Disc Brake Conversion (Crown Vic)

i'm talking about the backing plate, not retainer plate. is there a counterbore on the backing plate where the bolt would go?
some have it, some dont. mine did, and the backing plate is thicker so the rubicon plates might not work.
this picture shows one of the backing plates with the counterbores. there are bolts and washers in the hole, but you can see how it is recessed a little where the washers sit in. these backing plates also have a rough cast finish instead of a smoother surface like the backing plates in this thread.
pic2.jpg
Mine look nothing like that. The retainer fits flush against the backing plate and caliper mounting plate with bolts that come through the opposite side of the axle flange, through the caliper mounting plate, backing plate and then the retainer.

thats good. all i can think of is the rubicon plates aren't deep enough and the seals are loose. other than that, are you sure you didnt slice the lip of the seal when putting them on? the lip of the seal could be rolled underneath itself as well, but i doubt it. was the shaft really clean when you put the seal on?

thats good. all i can think of is the rubicon plates aren't deep enough and the seals are loose. other than that, are you sure you didnt slice the lip of the seal when putting them on? the lip of the seal could be rolled underneath itself as well, but i doubt it. was the shaft really clean when you put the seal on?

I'm going to double check the depth of the retainer plate or see if I can figure out a way to push the seal in further before I tighten the plate down.

I cleaned the seal mating surface with 500 and 100 grit paper and solvent before I put the new seal and bearings on. I also packed the seal with grease on the inside and put a coating of RTV around the outside when I installed it. It's got me stumped.

I finally got my leak stopped. I had to spend about $400 to do it, but I now have no leaks AND chromoly axles. I thought I might have a bent axle and was fed up with spending money on bearings and seals with no results so I bought these and everything is good now.
But one thing I noticed while I was putting the new axles in is the seal number was different than the one I've been getting from the parts house and the one everyone has been recommending online. These axles came with P/N 18731 axle seals and they fit much tighter in the housing than the other ones I've been using. So I don't know if that's what fixed it or not, but I don't really care now that it's done.

Here are the FORD Crown Victoria (& Mercury Marquis) adapter backing plate assembly part #'s:
F1VY-2C220-A (1991-1995) (Discontinued - Obsolete)
F2AZ-2C220-A (1992-1992) (Discontinued - Obsolete)
YW1Z-2C220-AA (1996-2000) (Replaces F6AZ-2C220-A & F7AZ-2C220-AA & F7AZ-2C220-AB )
1W1Z-2C220-AA (2001-2002) - E-brake cable end is slotted.

So there are 7 possible part numbers. The E-brake on the 2001-2002 fastens onto the back of the plate differently. The cable end is slotted and hooks over an actuator lever.
See pics here:
http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/brakesystem/ebrake/pictures/1997/index.html

Last edited:
Back