• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 swap to Dana 44

klennop said:
I noticed that your stock fender flares are off, would you be able to run your 33X12.5's with those still on or would there be a crapload of trimming involved where you are better off taking them off. See I would like to keep the stock flares.
Ive been meaning to move my axle forward,Ive been rubbing on the back of the fender when turning.I think if I do I can put the flares back on.The only reason I dont have driveshaft issues is because of the long arms,the pinion always points/and follows the arms.Even with DB's you will still get driveshaft binding!

klennop said:
What happens to the ABS, or anything else that is an issue?

One way to keep the ABS is to use ZJ disc brakes and ABS rings and sensors.
The axle shafts would have to turned to 2.00" and the rings opened up to 1.999" for a tight fit. If you lift it, the ABS wires will be too short and you will have to splice some more. I just converted mine with no lift.
I used the same drive shaft. With the old axle it had 1.3" freeplay at the transfer case. With the D44 which sticks out 1", the freeplay was reduced to .9". I don't know what effect lifting has on the free play. I was told i need to shorten mine by 1", I don't see that.

OK I found this "Rear Dana 44 axle from 87 Cherokee welded with 3.73s. Blasted primed and painted" in my area and I asked some questions because I don't know squat about internals on rearends and I am not a big wrencher as I said earlier. It has 3.73's in it and it is welded. So this is what I got back from the guy:

"Hey Well the axle will bolt up to your 01 brakes work and by welded that means the spider gears are welded making it locked. If you plan on driving your jeep daily which would be right since its a 01 i would recomend pulling the carrier out and replacing it with a limited slip and depending on your tire size maybe some gears."

So first off I am wondering will my brakes bolt right up to it if the ones he is selling doesn't come with them. Also would I be able to swap out the "carrier" myself without any experience in doing so? The 3.73 gears wouldn't be perfect for my setup because I am going to be running 33's but it would be better than my stock 3.55. Would I be better off replacing the gears if I have to replace the carrier? I don't think I want a true locker rear because it is a daily driver but I know I would at least want a limited slip. right? How much would these options cost me, or if I am not able to do this stuff alone, how much would a shop charge me?

Thanks again for any advice or help!!!

If it does have 3.73, you will have to regear the rear axle to 3.55 or the front up to 3.73. Personally I wouldn't do either. If you are going to regear, get something lower like 4.56. But that is a lot more money then you probably want or can spend right now. How much are they asking for the axle. Cause you will have around 800 an axle in upgrading gears. It is good to do this anyway but if you don't have the money to do it now, this axle may not be for you since it wont be a direct swap. I just upgraded to a d44 myself this week. I bought it for 600, but it came with limited slip, disk brakes, repacked bearings, new shocks, and extra driveshaft. So it all depends on what you have to spend and what price you are getting that axle for. I wouldn't pay more than 200 for that axle, since you will need to do so much to it.

edit: mine also came with 3.55 gears. So I didn't have to regear the front yet.

KSXJ said:
If it does have 3.73, you will have to regear the rear axle to 3.55 or the front up to 3.73. Personally I wouldn't do either. If you are going to regear, get something lower like 4.56. But that is a lot more money then you probably want or can spend right now. How much are they asking for the axle. Cause you will have around 800 an axle in upgrading gears. It is good to do this anyway but if you don't have the money to do it now, this axle may not be for you since it wont be a direct swap. I just upgraded to a d44 myself this week. I bought it for 600, but it came with limited slip, disk brakes, repacked bearings, new shocks, and extra driveshaft. So it all depends on what you have to spend and what price you are getting that axle for. I wouldn't pay more than 200 for that axle, since you will need to do so much to it.

edit: mine also came with 3.55 gears. So I didn't have to regear the front yet.

I wasn't aware that the front and rear gears must match, makes sense after thinking about it. I was always thinking about just the rear! It is $200 but that is a lot of cash right now that I would have to put into it, especially since I am buying a lift, wheels and tires and the SYE/driveshaft kit. Maybe I will just take it easy with my 35 until I save some more money or it breaks.

Yeah if they don't match, and you put it into 4wd you wont make it 5 feet before something blows up. I see people running d35s all the time but you do have to be carefull and stay away from the skinny. pedal. Of course I have my c8.25 that I am selling that would be direct swap. I swapped it out cause I got a good deal on the 44 or I would have stayed with the c8.25 since it is not that much weaker than the d44. (since I had the 29 spline model - d44 being a 30 spline)

KSXJ said:
Yeah if they don't match, and you put it into 4wd you wont make it 5 feet before something blows up. I see people running d35s all the time but you do have to be carefull and stay away from the skinny. pedal. Of course I have my c8.25 that I am selling that would be direct swap. I swapped it out cause I got a good deal on the 44 or I would have stayed with the c8.25 since it is not that much weaker than the d44. (since I had the 29 spline model - d44 being a 30 spline)

I think if I was going to swap, I would rather just do it once and get the 44 if I can find one for a good price in my area!

i just picked up an 87 XJ dana 44 at a pay-n-pull in south west pa for $75! had the right gears for my xj and all the brake components are like new. i got lucky with this one.

luvherinmyjeep32 said:
i just picked up an 87 XJ dana 44 at a pay-n-pull in south west pa for $75! had the right gears for my xj and all the brake components are like new. i got lucky with this one.

You are lucky, I paid $270 for mine in excellent condition, didn't look any older than my 96, no corrosion, good gears. I paid more, I am happy because I got a good one.

Back