• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 contact pattern help!!!

Way too deep.

You want the contact pattern to be roughly centered on the teeth. Yours is really close to the inside end of the teeth and also a lot closer to the tips rather than centered between root and tip of tooth.

I may be wrong though, I haven't set up a diff in like a year now.

OK the last depth I want to check is .017-.020 after that I'm all out of ideas. I started with .010 -.026-.028-.030.-.032-.036-.040 and the only pattern that moves is coast side. But like you guys said it looks to deep so tonight I'll try 17-20 and if that doesn't work I'm lost.

I'm so confused now I hear too shallow and too deep. Can anyone tell me how those answers are coming up. Vasily debate your answer because I have no I do how your getting them (remember I'm new to all this) thanks

I am really just rather confused because NORMALLY the coast and drive sides of the teeth have patterns that go in opposite directions (i.e. one goes toward the outside of the ring gear, the other toward the inside) when your depth is off. Seeing the pattern that far into the ring gear but the same on both sides is throwing me for a loop.

Listen to Digger87xj, he knows way more than me and works on this shit at his day job as I recall.

Too shallow: the pinion is too far away from the ring gear. Usually causes the pattern to appear out at the heel (outer edge)
Too deep: Pinion is too close to the ring gear. Usually causes the pattern to appear at the toe (inner edge)

Also when the pinion depth is not correct, one or both of the patterns will have a feathered look to them, exactly like your last set of pics.

I'll admit, even the one's above I gave the "ok" on could look better. IMO the pinion is much too deep.

A little advice on us helping you.. When speaking of the pinion shims, include the thickness of the slinger and any other oil dams in place in your shim total, as they too add to the total amount of distance the pinion is off from the master housing depth.
Most all of the D30's I have set up have fallen in between .070" to .080" total. One or two at .065"-.068"

They don't vary too much, and if I find one that won't fall into a really nice pattern with the typical amount of shim, the housing is warped.

You also might try to bring your backlash closer to .010" as aftermarkets tend to hone their gear sets wider than the OEM sets. Don't get too hung up on FSM specs as you are not dealing with OEM gears.

Don't feel bad and don't give up. I even run into troublesome ones that don't fit the standard setup and without the proper tools to at least give you a starting point, it can be tough to dial in a set of aftermarket gears. I've strove to get a pattern perfect when sometimes 'good enough' is just that, and the gearset ends up running just fine with no future problems.

Last edited:
That's great you guys have helped me a lot and I live learning this stuff. I will try the 17-20 and if that doesn't change anything I will post the thickness of every slinger and shim I used. What's hard is I'm using motive hears and install kit and there is not many shims to use there all thick .01 to .03 I'm reusing some OEM ones that are .003-.005 I'll try again tonight. Again you guys are awesome. Thank you guys

ok so here is alot of info for you guys.
Slinger behind inside bearing cup= .020"
slinger between pinion head and pressed on bearing= .030"
backlash marked on new ring gear says .010"
numbers written on head of pinion 2.267"
old original pinion has just a +1
so as it stands right now i have .022" shims on pinion and back lash is .009-.0105" here is what were looking at.
[URL=http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/AJs01XJ/media/Pinion022BL009-0105_zpsa6d1842c.jpg.html]
Pinion022BL009-0105_zpsa6d1842c.jpg
[/URL]

Where are you putting the .022 of shims? Under the inner bearing? or cup?

Your total as it stands is .072"

Increase your pinion shim pack to around .030-.032 with .010 backlash and lets see the pattern

I looked at your 3rd set of pics on post 16 and I think it would be good if it had better backlash.

I am putting the shims under the cup in the housing between cup and the stepped slinger. also i believe post 31 is .030 with 7-9 backlash. but i will do it again, maybe i can fine tune it. i was also checking backlash on coast side of gear and now im finding it a little easier and more accurate on the drive side of the gear. so i will do .030 pinion shims and get it at .010" bl. so if i up it to 30 over all will be .080"? right i think im getting the hang of it.

Last pics are def too shallow don't worry so much about it being centered side to side(heel/toe) rather it's more important that it's centered top to bottom(face/flank) with diffuse edges

Okay so tonight I will go back up to .030 and get backlash to .010. How can I get a more clear pattern? I'm using a block of wood between gear and case but it doesn't seem to be clear. Any other ideas?

ya its good???!!! sweeeeeeet a few months later and i finally got it. Thank you guys again for your help. There was no way i could of done this with out you guys. Dont go far i have a dana 44 after this :) you guys wouldnt happen to know the total preload for pinion and carrier. i think the pinion is 10-20in/lbs right?

Depends on whether you reused bearings or not. Iirc 20-40 is for new bearings but I may be wrong.

Oh, and that is without the carrier and without the pinion seal!

Depends on whether you reused bearings or not. Iirc 20-40 is for new bearings but I may be wrong.

Oh, and that is without the carrier and without the pinion seal!

ya the carrier and pinion seal will add more.

Back