• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 axle shafts

The_Patriot

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I just bought a hp Dana 30 for my xj and I’ve heard some jeeps for axle shafts that would be considered upgrades. I think it was either wj or zj. Anyone have any enlightenment?

I am not aware of a ZJ or WJ shaft upgrade, but if you have a '95 down axle then the shafts from a '96 up will have larger U-joints.

There might be some argument as to exactly when Jeep made the switch to the larger U-joints. I have seen claims from mid '95 to '97 for the change. Some of that may include confusion on account of the change from 27 to 29 spline on the Chrysler 8.25 (occured in late '96 I believe).

Best to check what you already have in terms of U-joints and then compare with the potential donor.

So you have the standard shafts that are the 96/97+ shafts that have the larger u-joints but also the older jeeps with abs have the larger u-joints as well.

As far as the WJ upgrade, the knuckles are an upgrade for moving the steering up higher and get rid of the y link steering.

1984-1994 Dana 30 were manufactured with the smaller 5-260x u-joints. 1989-95 D30 with ABS were manufactured with 5-297x u-joints. All 1995+ D30 were manufactured with 5-297x u-joints.

It is possible for a shop or previous owner to have have installed older or newer axle shafts, so one should measure the u-joints to confirm the size.

5-297 u-joints are no longer available and have been replaced by the stronger 5-760x u-joints

Last edited:
I think they all break the same there is no upgrade that doesnt easily snap into peices

Rcv and chromoly are a decent upgrade

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

The ZJ, I think some had CV shafts. Maybe smoother running, but I hear they do not take punishment. The WJ has CV shafts as I remember. The WJ is about 5 inches wider track. So, I doubt they would be a drop in fit. I do run Almost Alloys from IRO. Haven't put them to the test. I do run the WJ big brakes with the cross over steering.

Good point about the ZJ and CVs. I think those came on the V8 models.

Im not sure about the wj +5" width as the xj tie rod is a near match for width on the wj knuckles. Though thats neither here or there.

I havent run the cv axles I thought abought it but didnt for aome reason.

Actually as I type this a guy fully knows the wj is not 5" wider after swapping on wj knuckles. Its what a 1/4" maybe 1/2" when air gaps are accounted for.

Im not sure about the wj +5" width as the xj tie rod is a near match for width on the wj knuckles. Though thats neither here or there.

I havent run the cv axles I thought abought it but didnt for aome reason.

Actually as I type this a guy fully knows the wj is not 5" wider after swapping on wj knuckles. Its what a 1/4" maybe 1/2" when air gaps are accounted for.

????? Putting WJ knuckles on an XJ/ZJ/MJ front axle? If so, that isn't the issue. The cross over steering link is 5" longer so.
Had to search the internet:
https://www.hkoffroad.com/pages/xj-zj-wj-axle-information
XJ D30 60" width vs WJ D30 65" width.

????? Putting WJ knuckles on an XJ/ZJ/MJ front axle? If so, that isn't the issue. The cross over steering link is 5" longer so.
Had to search the internet:
https://www.hkoffroad.com/pages/xj-zj-wj-axle-information
XJ D30 60" width vs WJ D30 65" width.

Yes, WJ knuckles and brakes on an XJ/ZJ/YJ/MJ is a common upgrade. I think a lot of people do the work themselves as far as sourcing parts but there are a few companies with full kits avalible.

https://www.stinkyfab.com/collections/xj-steering/products/sfr-basic-wj-high-steer-big-brake-kit-xj

The WJ stock steering wont work because of the obvious width difference but I believe you could temporarily still run the stock XJ/ZJ/YJ/MJ until you built your own DOM Steering setup.

The xj drag link is not long enough actually ummm

Ill look into the 5"

Xj tierod

I guess wj houseing might be 4.5" wider
66ae5d8346f4f41528fc6a64a4e4e198.jpg

My posting was that the axle shaft of a WJ would be longer, by the 5 inch difference. Also, I think they are CV joints. I don't know what their strength would be for wheeling.
I did use the Ruffstuff 1-ton GM kit on my first WJ BB. On the next I gathered parts. Should have used the Ruffstuff.
When at the Pnp, I did try the XJ TRE taper in the WJ knuckle. Seemed to fit. I remember someone using the stock XJ steering setup with WJ knuckles.

Do have the Stinky Fab OTK trackbar setup on my 2000 XJ. Excelent stuff. Beefy.

Back