• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Damn Vermin

Begster

NAXJA Forum User
I have had my Jeep sitting in the backyard at my parents house for the last 6 months or so. No big deal, have done it many times before. I've even had mice in there before, not a big deal I erraticated them before anything bad happened.

But I opened it up to a horrible smell the other weekend when I was home. Some mice decided to move in.

Jeep_killing001.jpg

Mice=1, Jeep=0

The worst part was I was going to be swapping all the interior from this one over to another Jeep.

I put traps and deacon in mine while it's sitting. Might not be 100% but it's a little protection. I had a few chewed wires and vacuum lines in the engine bay.

Put the Rebecca Black single "Friday" on repeat in your jeep, no one, not even the mice would want to be near it.

When we used to leave grandpas car at his cottage for the winter we would put mothballs in the engine bay, in the air filter, near the vent intakes, in the car on the floor, and a couple up the tail pipe, then a sandwich baggie with a rubber band over the tailpipe.

If I got into the CD player selling market, I would leave a miniCD in every unit I sold with Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up as the first track, and Rebecca Black - Friday as the second track.

It's probably a good thing I'll never sell CD players.

I have mice get in somewhere through the ventilation/heating duct(s).
This happens when I park overnite at a hiking trailhead in Colorado.
I have also had ground squirrels get in this way, also in Colorado. People feed animals at these trailheads, and the critters end up depending on humans for food. If you won't give food to them, they have learned to take it.
Porcupines are the worst, as they chew break lines and other rubber parts, craving salt, often causing mechanical failures. They don't get inside tho, too big to fit.
I have found coyote urine (sold at outdoor trapping outfitters) to be an effective deterrent, when sprayed under the hood, and all around the outside of the Jeep.
But for long term storage, I would think moth balls work.

X2 on the urine like 420blackxj said, just that it smells pretty horrible. Fox pee will work too.

Funny on the porcupine thing too, bunch of us used to go camping in the early spring. Usually about a week out in the woods. One unseasonably warm year a porcy ate my buddies brakes and a few other parts, knawed the sh*&t out of them. The next year when we where loading our gear up he pulls out twenty feet of chicken wire and began to wrap the whole lower end of his car with it. haha. He looked like a a complete nutter.

Back