• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Daily driver and MGP poll

gas prices yikes, DD or not?

• yes, i commute everyday in my XJ

Votes: 204 76.7%
  • nope, shes a trailer queen

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • not fully a trailer queen but i have a separate commuter car.

Votes: 53 19.9%

• Total voters
My bone stock 87 5 speed gets like 12 MPG in town. My commute is one mile one way, and the errands on the way home are usually about 4 miles. I don't feel too bad about that mileage realizing the trips are very short. If I don't have any road trips I fill up once a month.

On road trips it is a solid 24 MPG.

1998 XJ,4.0,AW4, w/ stock 3.55 gears, 30x9.5x15, I am getting around 16-18 mpg. Sould change a little when the lift and new axles go in.

My Jeep Cherokee is truly "general purpose". I haul my family around in it, its my DD, I tow a #3000 bass boat with it, its a used offroad a couple of times a month(mild trail use) and I tow a #2500 landscaping trailer with it every day. I get, when not towing, 15 city 20 highway(it has 100,000miles on it).

Here are the specs: 96' Country, 4.0l, AW4, 4.10 geared 8.25 w/Detroit tru-trac, 4.10 geared D-30 open, AA SYE/Tom Woods Shaft, OME Constant heavy load rear springs w/TeraFlex 1.25 shaks(4" lift total), ACOS and OME med front coils(3.75 lift total), Nitrocharger extended shocks, Currie Tracbar-LCA and chasis stiffeners, 3 core radiator and high flow w/pump, 30,000# GVW Hayden tranny oil cooler and B&M temp guage, K&N FIPK and AirRaid spacer, Firepower ignition system and NGK V-power plugs, Uniden C.B., Bearcat scanner, Navigation system, and last I run 30x9.5-15 BFG TA-KO.

I get better mileage now that I am running the lower gear on near stock size tires than I did w/stock gears and tires. Plus it just pulls stonger and the tranny works a lot less.

Daily Driver

1988 XJ 4.0L 220,000 Miles
30x9.50 BFG AT with 3.07 Gears

Last time I checked my mileage was after I got back from a day drive on the backroads. Went through 12.5 Gallons that day and that was hills, frequent stops, and low range through some snow. 15.6 MPG was what I averaged which I thought wasn't too bad.

Since then I changed my plugs and wires and just put some Bosch 19lb Injectors in so im anxious to see if those will make a difference.

TORX

12-16 mpg on 34's and 3.55's on my lifted 96. I only drive it every now and again just to keep the mechanicals up. Our stock 99 gets 14-19 mpg, depending on the traffic. When I find a cheap commuter, I'm parking it. I'll lift it eventually.

15-16mpg on a stock '98 Limited with 235/75/15's (with the correction for tire size), and my lard rump at the wheel. I also discovered that when I shortened my drive to work that my mileage dropped since the shorter route also is harder to keep a consistant speed at any time earlier than 8:30pm?!

87 with 230k it has 33's and 373 gears. i get from 14 to 16 mostly highway miles. I have a roof rack with my tire on top, Big wind drag. Wondering when i go to 35's if i should gear to 4.56 or 4.88 ? for the best milege....

all stock now with 225/75/16s and 3:55 gears/auto trans. got an average of 21.25mpg on a recent highway trip, but around town i'm averaging around 17 to 19mpg.

hmmmm
265 75 R16
cracked header
stock gears [3.55]
stock MPG gear
9.6 MPG!!!!!

just picked up an 87 chevy spectrum and on the last tank i got 36.5 miles to the gallon!

my jeep was getting 14mpg

Get an average of 14-15, all city. I run 235/75/16 Bridgestone A/T's on stock gearing and stock height. 4.0, AW4, NP242.

However my last tank I just got 19 all city. Happened to be my first full tank after installing my flowmaster

I have the 86 2.5L which leaves a lot to be desired. I didn't use to drive it with gas milage in mind but now I do. I get around 18 mpg thats a mix of highway and city, I just changed my plugs distributor cap and rotor, oxygen sensor, plug wires, and cleaned my K&N and so far this tank looks a lot better and should break the 20 mpg mark. Hopefully I can get it to the rated mark of 23 mpg that AMC said it should get and try to drive it with a lighter foot.

My '98 with 32s and 4.10s gets between 13 and 18 mpg -- depends on my mood and the wind.

Just bought myself a new DD -- hoping for 50+ mpg in that to make up for my glutton of a Jeep.

98 XJ Limited, 4.0L, AW-4, 31x10.5 with 3.55. Average 12.8 mpg. Looking to change gears and possibly front diff. DD.

Mambeu said:
31s and 3.07 gears, which suck. Usually right about 15 mpg around town. I just got a new clutch installed, so hopefully I'll see a bit of an improvement.
I would hope, that's the same combo I've got in m MJ, I pull about 18 city and 23 highway.

Back