• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44a Swap into an XJ questions

The 8.8 is a good choice. The XJ 44 is great for ease of install. However...gearing an 8.8 is easier in my opinion. Also, as you already know...you get disc brakes with the 8.8 which is NICE. I put discs on my D44, and its not the most fun project.

Since your jeep is lifted for 35s, stock XJ44 spring perches and shock mounts arent at the ideal angle anyway. So having to weld new perches onto the 8.8 should be looked at as a blessing. Its just going to make it all work better for you. Another plus for the 8.8 in my opinion.

The idea of getting a 4.10 8.8, running that, then going from there is a good one.

I would HIGHLY recommend putting an aux trans cooler in. Maybe even a trans temp gauge just to keep an eye on things. When I was running 33s, 3.55s with my auto, the temps were crazy. A cooler, and a manual switch/relay for the electric fan will keep your transmission happy with the 4.10s. You'd probably enjoy 4.88s much better though.

Good luck!

J.

just curious... anyone have experience with 4.88s and 35s on the highway? i am a college student in san antonio, and i drive to go see my folks in houston once every couple of months and the usual cruise speed is about 65-70... how would 4.88s do with 35s at that speed?

oh and ghettocruiser, the jeep isnt lifted yet, but the parts are building up in my garage fairly quickly waiting for the big day... so far i got teraflex long arms (temporary until i can afford my y-link, dont bitch me out lol i know they are lame) 6 teraflex springs, 6 inch teraflex rear leaf pack, 35" MTZs mounted on black rock 15x8 steelies, bushwacker fender flares (painted green to match my jeep), four real steel rock sliders, adjustable trackbar

still need to get bilstein 5150s, sye and driveshaft, and geared axles

I think you'll be fine with 4.10s and 35's. Like I said, take out the front driveshaft and run it in 2wd and you can see how you like it. If it sucks on the street then you know you want 4.88's. 4.10's is not ideal but you can get an 8.8 with them in it already so why not? Not sure on this but that carrier might even work with the 4.88s if you did a lunchbox locker and not a full carrier locker. You also have no idea how nice disc will be with 35's! Depending on the year of your Jeep, your brakes are about to go from ample to scarry if you don't upgrade to disc. the 8.8 is a good choice. And congrats on passing up the 44a, leave that to some other poor sucker! Actually would be a sweet bolt in for someone with a zj on 31's or something.

I think you'll be fine with 4.10s and 35's.

My buddy has 4.10s and 35s. While not terrible, it's not ideal. Especially if you drive on any highway that has large, long grades.

You also have no idea how nice disc will be with 35's! Depending on the year of your Jeep, your brakes are about to go from ample to scarry if you don't upgrade to disc.

I'd be more worried about the front brake setup than the rear. Rear disc doesn't offer that much of an improvement over properly adjusted drums. The only advantage I see is that there is no more need for adjustment, so you get a good pedal with no maintenance.

Don't take this the wrong way, I have rear disc on mine as well and wouldn't go back to drums.

its an 01 cherokee... i know lp30... that will get replaced too... i did that same swap on my old zj

And congrats on passing up the 44a, leave that to some other poor sucker! Actually would be a sweet bolt in for someone with a zj on 31's or something.

also speaking of zjs on 31's... thought i'd show you guys my old zj... got rid of it for the xj i have now
Marchmeet029.jpg

ok well i win the retard of the year award... i have only had my xj for a few weeks, and i had just assummed it was a dana35 out back... well i looked under there and it is a 29 spline 8.25 rear axle! this made my day yesterday so no rear axle swap for me, just gears. the only down side is that only one company (that i know of) sells a 4.88 ring and pinion for the 8.25, and that ring and pinion set is expensive compared to the front and rear r&p set i could get from rustys for 430 bucks and that includes rebuild kits

ok well i win the retard of the year award... i have only had my xj for a few weeks, and i had just assummed it was a dana35 out back... well i looked under there and it is a 29 spline 8.25 rear axle! this made my day yesterday
you almost swapped out a great axle for a d44a?

man that would of sucked:fuse:

Live and learn! At least you didn't.

well what happened is i was over at my buddies house working on his tjs front end... and 4 other jeeps were there (all of them decked out with atleast 35s and 4.56s) they make me feel so gay being stock still... but anyways one of them is a cherokee with 37s and i looked at his rear axle, and i looked at mine and they were the same damn axle... i got all excited and looked under again for abs and i couldnt find any abs sensors and that totally made my day

ok well i win the retard of the year award... i have only had my xj for a few weeks, and i had just assummed it was a dana35 out back... well i looked under there and it is a 29 spline 8.25 rear axle! this made my day yesterday so no rear axle swap for me, just gears. the only down side is that only one company (that i know of) sells a 4.88 ring and pinion for the 8.25, and that ring and pinion set is expensive compared to the front and rear r&p set i could get from rustys for 430 bucks and that includes rebuild kits

http://www.justdifferentials.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_33_103&products_id=2684

Back