• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 driveshaft after a D44 swap?

Gojeep

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone ever heard of using a stock D35 driveshaft after swapping to a D44 rear axle? I know the pinion is 3/4" longer but wondered with lift and lowered bumpstops if it was then alright to use the stock D35 driveshaft?

Cheers

Yep, that's what we all do. With a little lift the slightly longer D44 pinion makes the driveshaft work perfectly.

After I swapped in a 44, the stock driveshaft (dana 35) worked great and put my slip yoke farther back into the tc like stock.

Excellent news guys. Just wanted to make sure as that what I was thinking but always like to know from experience. :)

just swapped in a 44. the 35 drive shaft worked great, put more spline back in....saves you from retubing to a longer shaft...

Would you still have to worry about vibes and eventually require an SYE and CV driveshaft to go with it? I don't mean to highjack, but I'm currently dealing with the same dilemma. I'm installing a 44 and going to 5.5 on a '98 which will in all likely hood need a SYE.

98GrnMachine said:
Would you still have to worry about vibes and eventually require an SYE and CV driveshaft to go with it? I don't mean to highjack, but I'm currently dealing with the same dilemma. I'm installing a 44 and going to 5.5 on a '98 which will in all likely hood need a SYE.

Gojeep, Listed no lift. Lift is why you GENERAL need a CV shaft and shimming of the axle to kill vibes.

I seem to be the only one here, but my D35 shaft was too long when I swapped in my D44 (88 with a Peugeot). I was at about 2.5" of lift, and it was basically bottomed out at full droop.

My D35 shaft did not work either. 92 with ~4.5 inch lift, t-case drop, auto tranny and swapped in D44. 35 shaft was too long, had to grab a driveshaft from the junkaryd from an 8.25. Worked great.

Interesting that some worked and others didn't. I think that maybe too long if using a SYE with the pinion pointed up which would increase the spline insertion more than if tilited down like stock?

I have seen this same debate in other threads and when I set out to do the swap, I was under the impression that my D35 shaft would work. Not the case, I think it depends on the tranny t/case combo.

ryan said:
I have seen this same debate in other threads and when I set out to do the swap, I was under the impression that my D35 shaft would work. Not the case, I think it depends on the tranny t/case combo.

Could be down to the transmision but not the transfercase as the 242 and 231 are the same in length. This will be for a auto most likely as only turbo diesels here are manual in the 97+ models

Back