• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CV shaft & SYE for 31"s ??? please help !!

IT WILL STILL BIND, you're still lifting by the rear bumper. LOWER IN FRONT THAN IN THE REAR HAS NO EXTRA ADVERSE EFFECT ON REAR DRIVELINE.

Better way to explain maybe. Go throw 5 bags of concrete on your front bumper without jacking the rear end and notice the lack of binding.

done.

Arrrrrrrgh!!!

When lifting the front or rear of an XJ with a suspension lift, the engine/trans/TC never move, in relation to the body.
If the rear is lifted 8" and you lift the front 15", the rear is still only lifted 8", correct?
If you agree, then you must agree that the rear driveline angles never changed.
Period.

scorpio_vette said:
because i leveled it out right???

No! I just used 2" as an exanple, you could lift it as high as you want. Lets follow this to the extreme and see what happens. If you were to lift by the front bumper of your Jeep and lift it off the ground 6 feet, would your rear driveline bind? No it would'nt, it would just rotate up. Your front driveline would droop down and bind but, not the rear driveline. If you raised the rear bumper the same thing would happen but in the rear. The rear would droop and the front wouldnt. If the axle doesnt droop, the angles dont change.

goodburbon said:
Better way to explain maybe. Go throw 5 bags of concrete on your front bumper without jacking the rear end and notice the lack of binding.

done.

Thats a bad example. If you add weight in front of the front axle, it will take weight off the back and increase lift in the back, changing angles. This happened when I put my winch on. The front dropped 1/4" but the rear raised 1/4".

When you lift only the front say 6", and not the rear. You are increasing the angle at the front output of the tcase, and decreasing the angle at the rear output.

Works the same for lifting only the rear and not the front. The rear angle becomes more harsh, the front less.

Very easy to visualize.

No, the rear driveline angle will stay the same.
Unless you meant the relation of the driveshaft and the ground.
If you lift the front, the rear will not change.
If you lift the rear, the front will not change.

waxer said:
When you lift only the front say 6", and not the rear. You are increasing the angle at the front output of the tcase, and decreasing the angle at the rear output.

Works the same for lifting only the rear and not the front. The rear angle becomes more harsh, the front less.

Very easy to visualize.

It may be easy to visualize but its wrong again. As OT said lifting the front has no effect on the rear angles.

WOW this turned into a debate over something pretty simple lol.

No, for a debate, there must be good points from both sides.
This is just a lesson with a few stubborn students.

i don't know. i guess i'd have to visually see what you guys call "not affecting the angle". if i can see my u-joint bind up if my rear sits higher than my front, then that is affecting the angle.

so unless we are talking about 2 different things and that's why not understanding each other, there is no way that the front and rear can be moved without affecting each other.

i understand that the transmission stays with the body, but look at the damn body. if the body looks like it's leaning downhill, then the transmission is leaning downhill. which means the front output yoke is lowerr than the rear. if you raise the front, it would level out the transmission which would create less angle at the rear output yoke. if it wouldn't affect it in any way, then there wouldn't be such a thing as u-joints binding up.

Think about it this way...

When you lift the front of your jeep the center line of your rear axle becomes the pivot point. You could lift the front of your jeep two feet and it wouldn't change the pinion angle of your rear end because everything is being rotated upwards. Your rearend, it's pinion, the tc, the body, everything. It would be like driving up on a curb with your front end...your rear angles do not change.

Period!!!

MogifiedXJ said:
Think about it this way...

When you lift the front of your jeep the center line of your rear axle becomes the pivot point. You could lift the front of your jeep two feet and it wouldn't change the pinion angle of your rear end because everything is being rotated upwards. Your rearend, it's pinion, the tc, the body, everything. It would be like driving up on a curb with your front end...your rear angles do not change.

Period!!!

Yeah, what he said!

I keep scratching my head trying to find a good way to explain it.
Try this.
The rearend sits at 6" of lift. The axle is bolted to the springs with ubolts, the rear springs are mounted to the FRAME, right?
The transfercase is mounted solid to the transmission, the engine and motor mounts to vehicle FRAME, its not going to move unless you put a tcase drop in, agreed?
The key here is that its all mounted solid to the FRAME. With the rear axle and the transfercase mounted solid to the frame, there is no way the angle between the two will change, it doesnt matter what the front axle is doing.
If you completely remove the front axle from the Jeep, does the rear driveshaft fall out, no! You could add 6" of lift to the front, you could take away 6" of lift from the front, you can do whatever you want to the front, as long as you dont move the transfercase, it wont change the rear driveline angles.

OT said:
Arrrrrrrgh!!!

When lifting the front or rear of an XJ with a suspension lift, the engine/trans/TC never move, in relation to the body.
If the rear is lifted 8" and you lift the front 15", the rear is still only lifted 8", correct?
If you agree, then you must agree that the rear driveline angles never changed.
Period.
x2

Lets discuss ujoint rotational velocity next. That should keep us busy for about a month.:)

This frickin thread is making my head hurt...

carl-2-athf.jpg

Try this, draw a profile picture of your rear wheel, rear ds, tcase, front ds, engine, front wheel on a piece of paper. Place the paper on the table. Now pick up the paper and using a pair of scissors (better not use the pointed ones) cut out the front ds and front wheel in one piece. Place the paper back on the table. Position the front wheel with its attached ds an inch below its original position as if having installed a lift. See, no change in the rear angle!

I know I only have 58 posts (now 59), but did anybody read what I posted earlier? Follow the 3 easy steps I layed out, using duct tape to attach the wire to the yoke of the axle. It will visually show you on your own rig that lifting the front end will have no effect on the rear driveline angle.

Maybe I'm just :passgas: , who knows...

Kuasimodem said:
I know I only have 58 posts (now 59), but did anybody read what I posted earlier?

Read and liked it, but figured a picture was something easier to do.

Don't get noid about post numbers.. don't mean nuttin.

Back