• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cutting fenders got a ?

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Well I keep knocking my front fenders off and I am tired of putting them back on. I am planing to trim up to the seam or "lip" and thats it. I am planing on cutting and folding in the rear fenders. I have a few ?s first:

1. If I put masking tape over my fenders where I am going to trim will my paint stay on and not flake? If not whats the best way to keep the trim job looking very good and keep my paint? (Its a 2000 4 door) I have access to a small grinder ran off my air compressor, a big electric grinder, and a sawzall.

2. I know there will be gaps up front from where the plastic liner is no more. Can I weld in sheet metal to cover up the gaps (I can weld very well)? Also will the front hinges be exposed? I have read about the foam floaty thing and I want something more permanant for a DD 2000 that does see mud. If welding sheetmetal won't work what will?

3. Anyone got close-up pics of trim jobs on 4-door XJs? 97+?

Thanks

1. The flaking paint will come when you bend in the sheet metal.

2. You can weld in a plate to cover your hinges, but I wouldn't weld it to the fender side (obviously, you'll screw the paint up). Or you could screw some rubber moulding in instead of welding the plate on.

3. Sorry, mine's a '92.

Not sure what setup you have but my 6" with 33's rubbed bad plus the cops didn't seem to like how much my tires stuck out. Depending on where you live the cops might not like you not having fenderflares to cover the tire. I ended up putting on bushwackers. I sawzalled the whole job and didn't have a problem with the paint chipping. Good luck.

Here are some pics of the trimming I did on my wife's XJ. In the rear, I just trimmed up to the pinch welds. If you cut past them, the outer fender and the wheel well will separate. I didn't have any troubles with flaking, and just used touch up paint to cover the bare edge. I then covered up the edges with 5/8" black vehicle trim to give it a clean look. I used and angle grinder for the front and an angle grinder and sawsall for the rear. I then put on my custom quarter panel guards and some pre 97 rear bumper end caps on the bumper.
fd697a17.jpg

fd6979fe.jpg

fc5102c1.jpg

fc467f0b.jpg

fba96330.jpg

fender trimming

i installed bushwacker cutout style flares on my friends jeep and he has on 35 mtrs and has mo problem running, i was suprised at how much that flare opens the wheel well. the cops like it and it looks great

Back