• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cutting down a PSC reservoir...

Alexia

NAXJA Forum User
Unfortunately I learned the hard way that PSC sells a reservoir as part of a kit that is said to fit under the hood of a XJ, but in fact comes no where close to fitting. I have done tons of research into other reservoirs out there and the best fit I could find was for a Holden Commodore shipped straight from Australia.

The plan is to cut 1.5" out of the tube of the reservoir and weld it back together giving it enough clearance to fit under the hood by the brake booster. This will put the filter just below the 1" fill line inside the reservoir. As I understand I should not have problems with aeration due to the design of the reservoir's inlets and outlets. Before I go potentially ruining an expensive piece of metal has anyone else considered this or tried it before?

reservoir_1.jpg

RCman and moparmaniac both had PSC resivours fit under there hoods, you don't need to use the booster mount, just make your own. Both of there build threads are in advanced fab

Mine is mounted on a clamp off the intake runner, airbox has to go but it will fit and the fluid level is above the pump intake. Took me a while to figure it out. I would not reduce the capacitiy of the resvoirs. They are small enough as it is.

RCman is using an old smaller version of the reservoir with a different cap. MoparManiac's mount removes the air box.

I need the air box so those will not work. Even cut down the PSC reservoir will still have more fluid capacity than the stock pump mounted reservoir.

I did a bit more research and the only bit I may be required to do is grab an anti-splash relief valve for the vent since it may be more prone to fluid sloshing.

RCman and moparmaniac both had PSC resivours fit under there hoods, you don't need to use the booster mount, just make your own. Both of there build threads are in advanced fab

Thanks for the love :( mine fits underhood too

I got a PSC res to fit under my hood and a few other Cherokees as well. Had to lift the back part of the hood up and notch the inner hood support but it clears

Just waiting to hear back from a local welder who can do aluminum. I do not want to spend the money to get my old welder setup for aluminum. I have also found a shorter version of this filter in case for whatever reason the tall one causes issues in the smaller container.

gallery_1_12_25357.jpg

gallery_1_12_91407.jpg

gallery_1_12_120003.jpg

This is BY FAR the worst designed kit. After shortening the reservoir then cutting and modifying the mounting bracket I find out that the kit should have included two 45º*fittings instead of a 90º and 45º. Fine, whatever, so I look up the specifications on the reservoir since there are no instructions including detailing these things and order the -10AN 45º fittings listed.

They actually use -12AN fittings and now I am having to pay for overnight shipping on the other fittings to get this MJ out of the garage.

*Flips a desk.* In absolutely no way did PSC actually test this kit on a XJ like they claim. If they had spent even five minutes actually test fitting this they would have realized all the issues.

The included -12AN and -6AN fittings hit the air box.

gallery_1_12_175617.jpg

Sliced, bent, and welded the mounting bracket to correct the angle. Added some spacers to move the clamp to the correct position.

gallery_1_12_38987.jpg

Last edited:
not having to deal with this reservoir is the reason I opted for the P-pump kit.

There was no way it would fit under my hood either. I mounted it off a tab though off the cage. Doubt you have this option but still just make a bracket?
fuelreg.jpg

I still don't get why you wanna mount it off the booster so far away from the pump? Such a long feed line and it could starve itself.

I still don't get why you wanna mount it off the booster so far away from the pump? Such a long feed line and it could starve itself.

that's why it has the -12 feed line and should be mounted above the pump.

I thought I would done tonight with the delivery of the fittings...

:|

Only two out of three bolt bosses are drilled out in the pump. The third hole is partially drilled and tapped with a mystery size with no hardware included to mount that to belt tensioner bracket.

So now off to the hardware store to figure this out.

It seems weird to me that some people say no way in hell that resi will fit under the hood, yet I see others, and have pics of multiple XJ's with them mounted to the booster, no hood lift, nothing....

Seems strange. Does psc have different sized resi's or something?

It seems weird to me that some people say no way in hell that resi will fit under the hood, yet I see others, and have pics of multiple XJ's with them mounted to the booster, no hood lift, nothing....

Seems strange. Does psc have different sized resi's or something?

The only way a current generation PSC reservoir will fit under the hood is by removing the air box and installing a noisy pod filter.

Ok, gotcha. That makes sense then.

Back