• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cuttin' Exhaust pipe

89CherokeePioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone hear ever had much success using a hacksaw for cutting exhaust pipe? How long did it take you, what type of blade did you use? I really can't afford a sawzall right now, nor can I afford a mechanic

got buddies? you can also rent from some home depots, shouldn't be much at all.

I had decent results with a hacksaw, when I wrapped the pipe with a piece of masking tape. The tape made for a perfectly circular guide around the pipe.

even when I changed angles with the saw, the tape kept me from drifting. I went around once to make a few shallow grooves on 3 sides, so the damned saw wouldnt jump out all time. The results were pretty good, after a little metal file work.

I think i'm cutting it wrong or something. It took me like four minutes just to break through the pipe so there was a visible cut. I'm using a carbon fiber blade, but I also have one designed for metals but it keeps binding up.

The blade is carbon fiber, or made for carbon fiber? If it's the latter, use a metal cutting blade. Mine are 18 TPI, and work okay.

The blade is carbon fiber. The other blade I bought listed aluminum brass sheet metal etc diff metals-but thats the one that binds. The carbon one that came with the hacksaw operates smoothly but with little success.

I'm gonna get back to it guys. I'll try wetting the blade.

Edit: Should it be taking me this long to cut through exhaust pipe?

It takes the longest to bury the blade, then it gets easier. I guess it took me close to 20 minutes last time I did this on 2 inch pipe. Major cussing involved.

Chain cutter is the best.

You guys are doing something wrong--it definitely shouldn't take more than 5 mins with the right blade. Good tip with the tape.

Maybe if you post your general location sombody near by will have a saws all.

You can do it the old fashioned way, go to walmart buy the cheap sawzaw and use it to get the job done then take it back and tell them it just quit working and you want your money back.

Oh yeah--You can rent that pipe expander tool at advanced or autozone and inside it has the pipe cutter tool. It might take five minutes to figure out how to cut it in steps by slowly tightening it. You'll also want a round/half-round file to clean up the edges.

I did it the easy way... borrowed a buddies sawzall and bought new blades for it.

Yep. sawzall is the way to go. I just (as in today) changed out my cat and muffler (Cherry Bomb Turbo) and my Big Lots Sawzall saved the day.

$10.50, cheep Chinese 4.5" grinder( or you can spring for the $45.00 version)
$1.95 metal cutoff wheel from H.D.
15' extension chord.

Full face shield, gloves, and ear plugs

I was installing a fuel tank skid and hitch last month. I found the exhaust pipe to be in the way of everything I was trying to do. Frustration set in.

I was worried about cutting the tank, so I grabbed my hacksaw. 5 minutes later I had a line in one side of the rusty old pipe. Frustration deepened.

I grabbed my sawzall and never looked back. My dad has had one for years, never used it, I just broke it in. Its a great thing to have in reserve.

Saudade: Ear plugs are for me. That way I don't have to listen to the neighbors complain.

Back