• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cuttin' Exhaust pipe

That's what is included in the exhaust kit that you can rent and get your money back.

got a harbor freight near you? very cheap tools. other than a sawzall you could also get a pipe cutter. it clamps to the pipe and it has a small cutting wheel. it has a handle that you use to turn the tool around the pipe. within minutes your through the pipe.

I just cut mine yesterday. I removed from the muffler back. I actually unbolted it from the cat and unbolted both of the hangers without breaking a bolt. Then I used my brothers portaband to cut the muffler off. Today we are going to weld the new thrush welded muffler in and see how it sounds.

Hacksaw worked fine for me. To minimize the binding, I spray a little WD-40 at the cut area to lubricate the blade, made a huge difference when I cut my leafsprings off. If it started to bind again, I just sprayed a little more WD-40 and it was fine again, helps keep the metal bits out of the blade too.

Remarkably, all of my clamps and cat bolts came right off as well. Amazing what a little PB Blaster will do. My problem was with the crimp the clamps left in the connections.

I ended up using my cheap sawzall to cut the pipe between the cat and muffler to get the cat off. With the clamps off, I was able to get the muffler and tailpipe off as a unit. I used my die grinder to cut slots in the muffler connection to the tailpipe (tp) and got the tp off without ruining it.

My new muffler was shorter that the original so I had to get an extension. I used my sawzall to trim this to length.

A few new clamps later and all is well. I even passed my smog test this am. :) :)

Run down to a local repair shop and ask them to cut it, should only charge you a couple of bucks, less than five minutes of their time.
If you were up this way (EX#28/I-93 in NH) I'd say swing by and we'd take care of it for you.

dizzymac said:
Run down to a local repair shop and ask them to cut it, should only charge you a couple of bucks, less than five minutes of their time.
If you were up this way (EX#28/I-93 in NH) I'd say swing by and we'd take care of it for you.

Appreciate it! Little far for me though. I just moved from Methuen to Malden (eight miles north of boston)

I bought a sawzall. I tried the hacksaw, but it was taking SOOO long.

Now that you got the sawzall you'll find a million and one use for it, especially owning an XJ.
Know Malden, grew up in Boston, drove for a living in greater New England/NY/ area for years.

dizzymac said:
Now that you got the sawzall you'll find a million and one use for it, especially owning an XJ.
Know Malden, grew up in Boston, drove for a living in greater New England/NY/ area for years.

Very true! Just last week our pastor's daughter called in a panic that one of their palo verde trees blew over into the street during a heavy winds. I grabbed the sawsall and an extesion cord and headded out. Popped in the pruning blade and made short work of the tree Some of the branches were 6" across.

Back