• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cut new diff cover or weld in a skid?

CASEY-R

NAXJA Forum User
Before I installed my 8.25 I shaved some excess off the bottom to make it a little smoother. Of course after dragging or hitting it on a rock once it was leaking all over so I got a pair of SOLID diff covers. After installing the rear cover I now have a piece of metal hanging down to catch on stuff. Definately can't leave it this way.

So what do I do?:shhh: Cut the cover to match the housing? Weld in a skid from below the pinion to the sealing surface of the housing?

The lazy part of the brain is telling me to just cut it but the not quite as lazy side is telling me to weld in a skid.

Any other suggestions?

Well, if you weld in a skid it would kind of negate the the grinding you did on the housing right? I'd say cut the cover.

Well, if you weld in a skid it would kind of negate the the grinding you did on the housing right? I'd say cut the cover.

I am leaning towards cutting the cover but I don't think a skid negates shaving the diff. When I "shaved" it I only cut off the lip that hung down. Welding on a skid would still keep it flat.
Are there any issues with welding to the housing? I know its tough to weld a cast exhaust manifold.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Shouldn't be that hard to weld onto the housing. People truss their axles all the time so it can definitely be done. Think it depends on the type of welder you're using and if you can adjust temp on it. I would do a skid and tie in a pinion skid while you're at it, IMO

Shouldn't be that hard to weld onto the housing. People truss their axles all the time so it can definitely be done. Think it depends on the type of welder you're using and if you can adjust temp on it. I would do a skid and tie in a pinion skid while you're at it, IMO

Not a bad idea. Ill have to give that some thought. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Back