• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cut Lower Rear Quarters...(pics and write-up)

You're an idiot too then if you point the finger when cutting this has been proven to reduce the structural integrity of the ass end of the rig. Just look at mine!
then like an idiot you didn't do it right! :twak:

how can i look at yours? like an idiot, you didn't post any pics and without pics i don't believe you!!

Last edited:
you are an idiot, the lower rear quarters have zero structural effect on your rig when you cut them as long as you fold and re attach the skin, as a matter of fact it is stronger because it is doubled up when done right, second the fact the metal is up out of the way helps as is obvious

but i like the hitch mount design concept but it needs a lot more tie in to be safe from what i see, how many holes does it use??? just the bumper holes?? if so that's my point if not it looks good
it is tied in along the inside of the chassis rails as long as 4 more additional bolts on the back side corner supports with sandwiched quarter inch plate....i am not an idiot i braced it :looser:

extra bracing.
P1030126.jpg

Doing the cut and fold doesn't do anything to the structural strength of the rear.

No, there should be no issues with structural integrity without additional bracing. The rear quarter panel sections seem to be largely ornimental. They cover up the springs/shackles/gas filler hose.

Ron

it is tied in along the inside of the chassis rails as long as 4 more additional bolts on the back side corner supports with sandwiched quarter inch plate....i am not an idiot i braced it :looser:
cool, you did a good job, i didn't think you were an idiot, that was just the word of the weekend, but like zuki ron said, there is no real structural issues in cutting the rear lower quarters, the lights being different height compared to the bumper could be the light got pushed up on one side, the light on the other side looked like there was a gap at the hatch and the light but "structurally" the location of the lights has nothing to do with the cutting of the rear lower quarters or the bumper could be pushed but it wasn't the cut and fold that did that!!!! hence the title of idiot for that guy

The hell it wasn't, right after I got done cutting and folding the quarter panels I found it extremely difficult to open and close the hatch (it was getting wedged up against the bumper on the passenger side) meaning that the passenger side rear "body" had sagged! The reason for the terrible alignment of the hatch currently is due to the fact that I had to stack about an inch of shims between the body and the passenger side hatch hinge just to get it to close! It's terrible really, nothing I can do about it though. My floors are rusty as heck, the quarter panels were probably the last thing keeping everything aligned!

l_81f3da2747ea408c8db3bdbc87535967.jpg

Look at distances between bumper and each tail light.
look at the top of each light, gap between the hatch and light, re align the lights and tighten your light housing mounting screws!! it even looks like your bumper is crooked to your hitch mount!!! i will buy it weakens the integrity when you show me buckling sheet metal radiating from that or adjacent areas, fix your junk first then show me the proof of degraded integrity with actual damage not misaligned parts.

The hell it wasn't, right after I got done cutting and folding the quarter panels I found it extremely difficult to open and close the hatch (it was getting wedged up against the bumper on the passenger side) meaning that the passenger side rear "body" had sagged! The reason for the terrible alignment of the hatch currently is due to the fact that I had to stack about an inch of shims between the body and the passenger side hatch hinge just to get it to close! It's terrible really, nothing I can do about it though. My floors are rusty as heck, the quarter panels were probably the last thing keeping everything aligned!
so the quarter panels wasn't the issue, the rusted away metal was, thank you. in a structurally sound XJ the rear lower quarters have no structural bearing but if you don't have the material there to hold it together before you cut and you don't brace every thing in position untill you put every thing back together the right way then you didn't do it the right way and you are blaming the quarter panels for the rusted out issues, does that make sense

Last edited:
Thats assinine, the quarter panels do have some structural integrity. It's a unibody, every thing on a unibody is part of the structure. Ever see how much the unibody wiggles when the doors or hatch are removed? But doesn't when they are installed?

Same deal. Sure the rust contributed but it's just not right to say the quarter panels do not have any structural integrity. They do!

If you'd ever happen to be in my neck of the woods I'd be more than happy to let you look at my rig to see that the bumper mounts nor the taillight mounting are "off." So feel free if you're ever in the Chicago area!

Thats assinine, the quarter panels do have some structural integrity. It's a unibody, every thing on a unibody is part of the structure. Ever see how much the unibody wiggles when the doors or hatch are removed? But doesn't when they are installed?

Same deal. Sure the rust contributed but it's just not right to say the quarter panels do not have any structural integrity. They do!

If you'd ever happen to be in my neck of the woods I'd be more than happy to let you look at my rig to see that the bumper mounts nor the taillight mounting are "off." So feel free if you're ever in the Chicago area!
OK, your the engineer, not me. i just know 17000 Cherokees have had this done and yours is the only one to sag that i know of and i have done this cut and fold on nearly 100 myself. you rig has a sh!t load more issues than the quarters if you really needed to shim that much after cutting. but hay, you can blame the quarters if you want, i am sure they wont mind :D

All I can say is everything lined up before I cut the quarters, I have stressed that before. Yes there are a multitude of other problems but the sagging didn't occur until the lower quarter panel was cut and folded.

Well I guess I'm wrong then because I don't own any Sig's, put the stickers on as a joke, they were given to me.

The police asked me why I don't man up and put some Glock stickers up, I told them I would if they gave me some!

Well I guess I'm wrong then because I don't own any Sig's, put the stickers on as a joke, they were given to me.

The police asked me why I don't man up and put some Glock stickers up, I told them I would if they gave me some!

Hah! I would tell them that I dont want any cheap plastic guns if they ever ask me that. I dont think most officers know what a SIG is around here.

I can't even buy yet until I am 21 in May. I just sent in an application for a lifetime personal protection carry permit though :) Supposed to take roughly 90 days until it ends up in my mail box.

Mine took exactly 2 months, a friends recently only took 2-3 weeks! You can buy private party as long as you are 18+ just have to be 21+ to buy from a dealer. Only need to be 18 to carry.

Right I know about the carry part, the way it was explined to me is that a handgun had to be given to you as a gift by a guardian or somebody 21 and over. To personally buy a handgun you had to be 21 and up. I don't know maybe it varies by state. Just across the border here into Illinois you can't even carry. You know all of those liberal loonies who believe gun control helps. No wonder cook county has such a high crime and murder rate. The only people with guns are criminals.

I have no idea where to buy private party. Might be able to buy guns on the "street" but I'd rather not, knowing my luck one of them would be connected to some sort of crime hence the reason for them selling them cheap!

Back