• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom RockRails

My rails are basically the same as diagramed previously. They go from flare to flare and use 1/4" x 3" angle at the unibody vice just a plate on one side of unibody, which some companies out there use. Also uses full-length on pinch seam. I used 1/4" plate to fully cover from front to back and rail to unibody and cut out two areas for Hi-lift just inside of rail. It's tested (Crozet Va) with full-weight drops on rail and works great to slide over rocks from front tire to back tire. Does not flex, is spaced 1/8" inch from rocker with no damage. Hi-lift tested, no flex. Plate slider is bolt on as well. If you want pics e mail me and I'll send you some. core4wd@cox,net My 2 cents...

TrailHunter said:
If yoiu could design the slider so it sits flush against the rocker panel, the sheet metal will distribute the whole load!

If you land hard enough you will still bend up the whole rocker up. What I did was take square tubing and put it on the inside side of the pinch seam up against the floor board. This works better then if you had it on the outside, because there is reinforcement inside the rocker panel there going up to the upper part of the floor.

Kejtar said:
If you land hard enough you will still bend up the whole rocker up. What I did was take square tubing and put it on the inside side of the pinch seam up against the floor board. This works better then if you had it on the outside, because there is reinforcement inside the rocker panel there going up to the upper part of the floor.
Do you have any pics of this? I know exactly what you mean, and it sounds right, but pics are still nice.
Edit: I ~think~ I know exactly what you mean.

Timber said:
Nice. Is that c-channel or just angle? Sleeved, I assume?
Not sure which part are you asking about: there is angle iron that is going against the framerail and the support that bolts to the pinch seam is square tubing.

CORE 4WD said:
My rails are basically the same as diagramed previously. They go from flare to flare and use 1/4" x 3" angle at the unibody vice just a plate on one side of unibody, which some companies out there use. Also uses full-length on pinch seam. I used 1/4" plate to fully cover from front to back and rail to unibody and cut out two areas for Hi-lift just inside of rail. It's tested (Crozet Va) with full-weight drops on rail and works great to slide over rocks from front tire to back tire. Does not flex, is spaced 1/8" inch from rocker with no damage. Hi-lift tested, no flex. Plate slider is bolt on as well. If you want pics e mail me and I'll send you some. core4wd@cox,net My 2 cents...
pics please,[email protected]

0044small.jpg

and

0042small.jpg

See my earlier post for mounting specs. I'll remove slider plate and post another pic tomorrow.

Back