• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom Hood

thank you guys for all the responses, especially all the pics! Gives me some good ideas as from where to go. :yelclap:

Fiberglass, more like fibertrash. I hate the stuff. It cracks, splits, shatters, dents mega easy. I would take the weight of a steel hood over a fiberglass one anyday... unless of course you are trying to save weight...

one of the nicest aspects of that hood design is when i am wheeling and every one is overheating, i am watching the heat roll out from under the hood and i keep my Chevy 350 around 170* in the winter and 200* to 210* in the summer and that's with the stock 1985 V6 cherokee radiator, plus i clear the air cleaner by 1/4 inch

Last edited:
HEP111 said:
More info on that fiberglass hood! Weight vs. steel etc would be awesome...or I could just contact the dude who builds it! lol just looking at weight reduction across the board with all the goodies we add ( winch, skids, etc) Always like the saying "light is right"! worked in the military at least...
~s

Funny thing is that the Usbody fibreglass cowl hood weighed the same as the steel hood! Then was told it could end up heavier by the time you used filler to get it all smooth enough to mount. The steel cowl hood needed no work what so ever to mount.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoBonnet.htm

Fiberglass off ebay around $50
Had to trim a little off the front. Allowed me to make two large holes, I left the dip in the middle for support.
DSC00229.jpg

TiRod said:
How'd you bend the riser section in front?
i took a piece of 1 inch tubing and slid it in under the center sectionand once i got to where i wanted it to go square again i began ( using a small ball pean hammer ) tapping the front edge and creasing the top around the tube then i peaned the upper edge as well to keep the crease and added the vertical braces.

i added the brace in the rear because the hood was way way weak even with the vert braces in.

hope thats clear

I got it. Worked up pretty clean. I much prefer bending existing metal than slapping on glass - I've worked a press brake 18 months now, you can do a lot wrong and the welders can still use it for body parts. The chopper gun stuff in the other department is either right on or useless. There is no stretching, shrinking, or changing contours with glass.

Back