• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Currie HD Steering worth it???

Los11

NAXJA Forum User
Hey whats up guys, did a search on it found some stuff out, but didnt find any reviews on it. I want to get a steering setup for my 2000 Xj 5.5 RE and 33 Mtr's, I was looking at the currie but I am wondering how it holds up does it improve the steering??? And is it worth it just want to get opinions thanks for the help

Los11 said:
Hey whats up guys, did a search on it found some stuff out, but didnt find any reviews on it. I want to get a steering setup for my 2000 Xj 5.5 RE and 33 Mtr's, I was looking at the currie but I am wondering how it holds up does it improve the steering??? And is it worth it just want to get opinions thanks for the help

yes, it's worth it. it's way beefier than stock and rod ends are angled to compensate for the lift.

Do you have to do any modifications to fit it?

you shouldnt need it until you put bigger tires on causing more leaverage and thus tweaked steering...I think it compensates for about 4" of lift but yep its sure worth it...
themud

Installed the steering setup about 2 years ago... The difference is quite pronouced.... at least on my 98 XJ. Really firms up the steering on the highway.
The tie rod is about 1" and the TEs have a slight bend to alleviate the angle at the pitman arm.
The TEs come with POLY cups which are more resistant to road and trail abuse.
I installed a recessed zerk on the TE that is near the steering stabilizer mount due to clearance issues.
The steering will provide proper angles for lifts up to 5.5".
The cheapest I have seen the setup was $350 from Summit Racing...

I to am looking into beefing up my steering. So far all I have is ZJ tie rod, but I think I am in need of more beef. Is it better just to get the Currie setup? Is it the same thing as stock just beefy? I would think that a Bronco/Blazer (tie rod wheel to wheel) type setup would be a better idea. Can someone point me in the right direction.

POS anything that you pay 300 bucks for shouldn't ever bend! i have sen it bend with 33's on! GAY waste of money. build ur own! it really isn't that hard.

stoney

Stoney said:
POS anything that you pay 300 bucks for shouldn't ever bend! i have sen it bend with 33's on! GAY waste of money. build ur own! it really isn't that hard.

stoney

I'd love to hear the full story behind this. I'm guessing alcohol, velocity, and inattentiveness as contributing factors.

I've been wrong before though.

ECKSJAY said:
I'd love to hear the full story behind this. I'm guessing alcohol,

So it's happened to you before while wheeling?

Stoney said:

stoney

Thats f-ed up Stoney, talking crap about my POS Currie steering. :doh: Yeah, I think I'm the one stoney is talking about. I bent my currie tie-rod. It just bent a little at first, but now it has a pronounced bow to it. No big deal right, just turn it 180* and bend it back on the trail. Sorry, the pinch clamps are indexed on the tie-rod so you can't turn it and still clear the drag link and track bar/stabilizer mount. It was a little bit inattentiveness, but mostly lack of driving skill. When you are running the rocks without a spotter, things like that happen. It really wasn't that hard of a trail either, just a bad line.

I would have to say the the reason I bought it was my own inablilty to fab up a custom tie-rod set up. The currie IS stronger, but it does nothing to get the damn thing out of harms way, which is what you really need to do. If you just want to beef up your steering with little or no effort, then go for it like I did. But just be aware that nothing lasts forever.

Bryan

MSHarnett said:
Anyway ever try the alumiflex tie rods? Bend the crap out of em and they go right back to their straight posistion, at least thats what I hear.

Just a guess, but if it was really the hot ticket.......why don't the comp rigs run alum steering? Currie's is a decent setup if you don't/can't fab your own.

Los11 said:

Yes.
Worth every penny.
HTH.

I run the currie drag link and RE heavy duty tie rod and have beat that thing through the rubicon, fordyce, and a lot of other trails and have had no problems. The tie rod has alot of rock rash but has held up great....no bends and no breaks.

Los11 said:
And is it worth it just want to get opinions thanks for the help

No, build your own use the chevy stuff and drill and ream out the current holes so the TR is on top. It gets you better angles and clearance. A search will give you all the PNs you need.

JeepSpeedRacer said:
FWIW, most of the JeepSpeed racers use the Currie. I can't imagine a rock crawler/trail rider being harder on the steering than racing.

Do the JeepSpeed guys constantly smash their tie rods into rocks?

Back