• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cummins 4bt in a xj

If you get the 4bt out of a bread truck or similar vehicle, isn't the bellhousing the same as a standard Chevy motor? I believe they used them as a direct swap for the worn-out small blocks in those trucks.

If that's the case, run one of those and an SM465 trans to a 203/205 and you'll be set for life.

The 4BT in the P-30 step vans (bread trucks etc) most commonly came with the TH-400 chebbie or an NP-435 (also with chebbie BP I believe)

It does not weigh any more than a big block gas motor. The motor itself weighs between 525-550 lbs and then with the adapter to put a tranny on it add about another 150-200 lbs.

Lee_N said:
I don't believe the KM148 bellhousing is interchangeable with the AW4, but there are versions of the AW4 that's used in an Isuzu, a Toyota, and a Mitsubishi. Plus, I do know the Isuzu bellhousing will bolt on an AW4. It's been done in an Amigo. I'll try to find a pic of a KM148 bellhousing for comparison.

Good point, I forgot about Dan's build on 4x4wire.com.

He is using the Chev 60 degree bellhousing from an Isuzu mated to an AW4 (IIRC).

so using the mitzu diesel would be the better way to go . sorry i am a little confused with all the back and forth chatting . will the mitzu motor bolt up to the aw4 bellhousing ? or will i have to use the mitzu bellhousing with the aw4 ? does anyone have the correct part numbers . and reguarding weight i have heard the 4bt weighs 750 lbs from many sources how much does the mitzu motor weigh? i have also been thinking of getting a grand wagoneer and putting a diesel in that . it should be able to hold the weight of a heavy duty diesel no problem

10-7-09%20002%20(Medium).jpg

It's still work in progress....

Back