• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise control- 2000 XJ- shuts itself off

Just saw this thread. My 2001 XJ has done this for several years.
The cruise control doesn't work often but occasionally it will work for many miles and will then just kick out for no obvious reason. The "cruise" light turns off and will not turn on again until the ignition switch is cycled.
I have checked the switch resistance, wiring, plug contacts, vac lines and just about everything I can think of.

I have a FSM but it doesn't not have much information on trouble-shooting the cruise control, is there a supplemental manual?

Just saw this thread. My 2001 XJ has done this for several years.
The cruise control doesn't work often but occasionally it will work for many miles and will then just kick out for no obvious reason. The "cruise" light turns off and will not turn on again until the ignition switch is cycled.
I have checked the switch resistance, wiring, plug contacts, vac lines and just about everything I can think of.

I have a FSM but it doesn't not have much information on trouble-shooting the cruise control, is there a supplemental manual?
Sounds like my problem exactly...

Well folks, it looks like we've found the problem.

It was the clockspring.

My jeep mechanic buddy told me that a long time ago, but I didn't listen. I couldn't see how it could be the clock spring if the horn still worked and the cruise would come and go.

I figured if the clockspring was bad, the cruise just wouldn't work at all.

I was wrong. 1 new clockspring later and all is well. Just thought some of you guys could benefit from what we found out here...:cheers:

Thanks!

Dirk

Probably intermittent connections in the clockspring, not very surprising. I hate tracking those down because you check and they're fine... then they aren't.

Probably intermittent connections in the clockspring, not very surprising. I hate tracking those down because you check and they're fine... then they aren't.

Exactly. I found out that a clockspring can fail...and then work again!

I'm just ecstatic that the whole ordeal is over! I really hated driving around without my cruise...

Is there an effective way to test the clock spring?
I would love to have cruise control again but replacing the clock spring is an expensive experiment. Confirming it's bad beforehand would motivate me to spend the cash.

Having never disassembled the clock spring, are there any contacts that fail or get dirty? Time to get the FSM out.

It's basically a ribbon cable, coiled up in a special plastic housing. You can check it by finding the pinout (check section 8W under Vehicle Speed Control in your FSM for which wires go where on each side of the clockspring) and using a multimeter on continuity or 200 ohm scale. If it checks out bad, it is definitely bad, if it checks out good, it might be good. Make sure you recenter it per the FSM procedure before reinstalling it.

You can usually pick them up for under 30 bucks at the you-pull yard. Avoid donors with the airbags set off, the steering wheel removed, or the intermediate shaft from the steering column to the steering box removed or damaged.

If it checks out bad, it is definitely bad, if it checks out good, it might be good. Make sure you recenter it per the FSM procedure before reinstalling it.

You can usually pick them up for under 30 bucks at the you-pull yard. Avoid donors with the airbags set off, the steering wheel removed, or the intermediate shaft from the steering column to the steering box removed or damaged.

Thanks for the tips. I probably screwed it up years ago when pulling the steering box. I now center the steering wheel and strap it to the seat base so it cannot turn before uncoupling the steering shaft.
It's weird how it will occasionally work for several miles before dying again for months.
Any idea what years interchange? It's a 2001. I would guess 97+?

All 97-01 w/cruise clocksprings will work.

Iirc the part number is 5500 9071, but I will have to check the catalog tomorrow, its been a while since I looked that up.

I just looked up the part number and Kastein has it right. The part number ending in 71 is for Heeps with CC.

Dirk, glad the issue was finally resolved.

Clocksprings...

After reading this one and a few others looks like I need to replace my clockspring as well ... my CC light comes on but does not function, my horn works, and my air bag light comes on when the vehicle sits for a time (I work 8 days in camp and 6 days home - the light is always lit on the 248km trip home) and preiodicly comes on intermittently.

Has anyone found any relation to the connector pin issue on the instrument cluster and intermittent cruse issues? I'm leaning toward it being the clock spring, but I have the system appears to work but just won't set the speed issue. For the record I haven't really even troubleshot the system other than redoing all the engine compartment grounds, and doing a battery cable upgrade.

Back