• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Creakin Steerin

I have the same f-ing problem on my jeep and it just started a couple days ago!! it used to be fine and dandy, no creaks. the noise is also comming from the front left tire but I cant figure out what it is! maybe a good washing will clear it up and give me a better look-see. my creaking pretty much only happens when I turn the wheel left at lowish speeds. wtf is going on?!

I do have 33's with a stock steering set-up

Try disconnecting the sway bar and go for a ride...mine was the bushings after a lift. the bushings didnt like the new positions!!! Soner white lithium grease took care of them once I found out they where the problem!!!

Good luck,
CW

jeepnuts311 said:
hey, are you talking about the track bar bracket at the frame? i could do that. the part i have reinforced with 1/4" plate is the axle end of the bracket which was wallowed out.

-Tim

Yes. The portion at the frame. It comes off with 4 3/4 nuts (mine did at least).

Sorry about the delay, the e-mail notifications have been a little hit and miss lately.

jeepnuts311 said:
Hey,
Sorry to bump this BTT, but the noises are back, and i am confused.

like i mentioned before, after pressure steam washing the underside very well all the noises went away, but they came back about a day later.

the only moving part on the front axle that hasnt been replaced are the knuckles, could they be making the noises?

the noise seems to be coming from the area near the left tire. i have replaced teh steering stab, reinforced the trackbar mount, new control arms (RE) and ball joints and TREs.

-Tim

Before you do anything try this.
In your driveway disconnect the track bar from the frame mount. Then start it up and turn the steering lock to lock serveral times. If the noise is gone, then it's your track bar, most likely the frame mount.

I have the exact same simtoms, and power washing makes the noise go away temporarily. The water gets inside the frame mount and ask like a temporary lubricant.

I have to tighten the 4 bolts holding my RE frame side track mount bolts about every 2-3 weeks. Even with locktight on the bolts. I so tired of the creaking and poping that I had the bracket stich-welded to the unibody, which cured the issue...... for a couple months, then the creaking returned

jeepnuts311 said:
Hey,
Sorry to bump this BTT, but the noises are back, and i am confused.

like i mentioned before, after pressure steam washing the underside very well all the noises went away, but they came back about a day later.

the only moving part on the front axle that hasnt been replaced are the knuckles, could they be making the noises?

the noise seems to be coming from the area near the left tire. i have replaced teh steering stab, reinforced the trackbar mount, new control arms (RE) and ball joints and TREs.

-Tim

In your driveway disconnect the track bar from the frame mount. Then start it up and turn the steering lock to lock serveral times. If the noise is gone, then it's your track bar, most likely the frame mount.

I have the exact same symtoms, and power washing makes the noise go away temporarily. The water gets inside the frame mount and acts like a temporary lubricant.

I have to tighten the 4 bolts holding my RE frame side track bar bracket to the unibody about every 2-3 weeks, this stops noises for a while. Even with locktight on the bolts. I got so tired of the creaking and poping that I had the bracket stich-welded to the unibody, which cured the issue...... for a few months, then the creaking returned although much quieter.

I recently purchased a track bar frame mount brace from RE, this item is relatively new, and I suspect RE developed it for this issue. I havn't installed it yet.

If it turns out not to be your track bar, then I would look at LCA & UCA mounting bolts and joints.

I have had numerous different problems and steering noise. The latest was my LCA brackets were broken at the factory welds. I have also had Trac-bar noise after going to a larger Tierod, Control arm bushing noise. Cracks in the uni-frame around the steering box. C-Rok fix. It seems to be a constant problem of some sort. Of course like Cracker said these intensify as you go larger tires. On 31" I had none of these issues, then 33s I had more now at 34"s I have new ones. Enough to drive yuh nuts eh ?
What the hell is a ying yang ?:flipoff:

thanks drifter and cracker,
i will try the track bar thing. the fact that i hear it near the front passenger tire may mean that the noise is travelling straight thru the trackbar throwing off my ears. i have the RE6130 kit and the stock frame mount but it has been modifed to accept the RE trackbar.

will getting the heavy duty frame mount offered by rustys (i use them cuz i get parts next day) or others fix this, or will it still happen?

already replaced the steering stabilizer...

-Tim
p.s. i thought yall would think i was crazy when i said washing it made teh noises go away lol
cracker said:
Yes. The portion at the frame. It comes off with 4 3/4 nuts (mine did at least).

Sorry about the delay, the e-mail notifications have been a little hit and miss lately.

Sierra Drifter said:

I have the exact same symtoms, and power washing makes the noise go away temporarily. The water gets inside the frame mount and acts like a temporary lubricant.

I have to tighten the 4 bolts holding my RE frame side track bar bracket to the unibody about every 2-3 weeks, this stops noises for a while. Even with locktight on the bolts. I got so tired of the creaking and poping that I had the bracket stich-welded to the unibody, which cured the issue...... for a few months, then the creaking returned although much quieter.

I recently purchased a track bar frame mount brace from RE, this item is relatively new, and I suspect RE developed it for this issue. I havn't installed it yet.

If it turns out not to be your track bar, then I would look at LCA & UCA mounting bolts and joints.

FYI

I have heard of some of the RE track bar brackets braking. If you are going to get a new bracket / trackbar, I would have to suggest Kevin's Offroad bracket WELL over the RE.

Let us know how it goes

Back