• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crazy long arm flex and front driveshaft

cstilesiscool said:
also i've seen coils unseat without straps on long arm rigs.

That works with short arm jeeps too :)
92950.jpg

RCP Phx said:
Slip yoke travel usually isnt an issue with radius arms,but driveshaft binding is!

Somebody with an intelligent answer!

With radius arms, typically the axle travels on the same arc as the drivesahft while flexing; as normally the radius arms are about the same length as the front driveshaft. This means that there will be very little movement in the slip yoke. If you're running the stock double-cardon joint in the front - you will have massive u-joint bind. Which can cause issues. TW, High-angle, etc, offer driveshafts with ground out double cardon joints for more operating angle.

But, as was mentioned, limit straps or limit shocks are a good idea... Oh, you can pin the bloody coils so they don't fall out.

Well since asking this question I have 5.5" RE springs, and a RK long arm kit. Currently Im still running my shocks from the 4.5" RE kit which are 26.5" extended length, which are obviously too short. I may go with the 28.5 from RE, in which another 2 inches doesnt sound very long, but really it is. Also, I could get the "long travel" RK shocks that they sell for the 4" lift which are 29" extended. I think the shocks for the 6.5 were like 32 or so.

Anyway, back to the original question, so instead of any slip issues it looks like Ill have some binding issues....Makes perfect sense.

turbobaja1835 said:
The guy who watched it come out and stopped me before I came down on it hard. Good guess on the stump but it was a big rock.

I'd recognize that combo of a username anywhere, Type I turbo I take it? I've got a '74 Beetle I've had since 17 years old, umm, I've had it for MORE than half my life. Sitting in my backyard waiting for some Type IV action and love.

James

Back