• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CRASH / GOATMAN: More Dana 44 questions

JnJ said:
A couple pictures of how I did the driver's side coil mount on my waggy axle.

How did you do the LCA and the UCA mounts?

cracker said:
How did you do the LCA and the UCA mounts?
I did a long arm setup with only one upper. So I had a lower on the drivers side, and a "Y" arm on the passenger side. Here is a link to more pictures.
http://jeep_n_john.tripod.com/redsuspension.htm
If I were doing a typical 4 link, I would have used or fabbed up a copy of RE's mount that goes over the pumkin. Though, I would have needed to modify it to work.

If you want more pics of JNJs longarms let me know. They are now on my buddys (his friend as well) jeep. --------Kyle

offroadman83 said:
If you want more pics of JNJs longarms let me know. They are now on my buddys (his friend as well) jeep. --------Kyle
Did he finally get them mounted up? Last I heard he only had the cross member on. How bout sending me a picture of the Heep, I've heard it's a beast now.

I don't Know if he got them totally mounted up but I will post a pic for you. =====Kyle

Edit: I will have to go over there to get a pic. Seems I only have 1 picture of his Jeep on my computer and I thought I had more.

Last edited:
For those of you with the high-steer setup, did you have to use a shorter adjustable track bar or were you able to use any aftermarket adjustable track bar?

You could shorten an aftermarket one by sleeving (RE's are 1" ID), or have the person the makes your steering build you a trackbar as well.

CRASH

Well (if any one cares) the project is continuing. I have altered my plans a little due to the great recommendations I have had here.

I have (a couple of weeks ago) ordered a Dana 44 high pinion housing from Currie with the Waggy dimensions (caster @ 7 degrees and pinion @ 12 degrees). Included with this are inner and outer chromoly shafts. I should be able to pick it up this week. I have sent my knuckles to www.partsmikeparts.com to have them machined and have the high steer knuckles installed. Those too will be available later this week. I received my axle brackets from www.claytonoffroad.com and they should work very well. As far a my track bar (panhard) will go, the Clayton’s brackets seem like they will be extremely easy to adapt a higher bracket to so my angle should be fine once I make the bracket (I realized this after I ordered the JKS bracket but…). The Johnny Joints look really cool too! I have a Rubicon Express bridge coming so I can cover my diff and do not have to weld to the diff housing. I should have all this by the weekend so I can get all of my welding out of the way this weekend.

I am hoping to have the axle completed and installed in time for the SoCal Chapter run a the Rubicon by June 23rd but everyone knows how these projects go.

I just wanted to update the ones that have been advising me.

Thank you

-Avery

BTW. Does anyone need an 80-84 Waggy front axle in So Cal?

BrettM said:
how about just the shafts? i'll be done there this weekend...

Funny you should mention that. I am going to use one of them as a spare since the dimensions of the shafts will work in my new high pinion. I actually only received the drivers side. The passenger side got lost in transit. Go figure.

BrettM said:
how much are the alloys costing you, and what brand are they?

Currie is actually making me some their 'performance' shafts and they are chrome moly. I don't know exactly how much I spent but I think it was around $550 for all 4 shafts. The total is $1800 (including tax) and I got the housing ($600) the axle shafts (bother a pair of inners and a pair of outers), bearings, ring and pinion (and the labor to install it) and they put in an ARB that I dropped off to them. I didn't think it was too bad. I settled with the Spicer 5-760X ujoints to hold me over in the meantime until I could afford better ones. I really want the CTM U-Joints but they are way too rich for my blood (right now).

i like the looks of the ox joints they seem to be a much stronger design than the standard joints style and there cheeper than CTM

bj-666 said:
i like the looks of the ox joints they seem to be a much stronger design than the standard joints style and there cheeper than CTM

Completely agree! Currie only had the Spicer ($25) or the CTM ($200). I decided to hold off on the nice U-joint expense until July when I could generate a little more $.

bj-666 said:
I do NOT like the look of the OX joints, and have heard only bad reviews. The bearing surface is way to far inboard so it sees a rediculous amount of stress. If you don't want to shell out for CTMs I would look at the Longfield joints and the Yukon/Jantz joints.

BrettM said:
I do NOT like the look of the OX joints, and have heard only bad reviews. The bearing surface is way to far inboard so it sees a rediculous amount of stress. If you don't want to shell out for CTMs I would look at the Longfield joints and the Yukon/Jantz joints.
2X on the Jantz. They have a great design and have held up flawlessly under very abusive conditions for me.

cracker said:
Currie is actually making me some their 'performance' shafts and they are chrome moly. I don't know exactly how much I spent but I think it was around $550 for all 4 shafts. The total is $1800 (including tax) and I got the housing ($600) the axle shafts (bother a pair of inners and a pair of outers), bearings, ring and pinion (and the labor to install it) and they put in an ARB that I dropped off to them. I didn't think it was too bad. I settled with the Spicer 5-760X ujoints to hold me over in the meantime until I could afford better ones. I really want the CTM U-Joints but they are way too rich for my blood (right now).

Did you get the housing with the CJ outers and if so are you running chevy or ford outers. I have been considering this swap for some time now and didnt know if the CJ outers where standard chevy and ford D44 compatible.

Thanks
Jeff

jeepme said:
Did you get the housing with the CJ outers and if so are you running chevy or ford outers. I have been considering this swap for some time now and didnt know if the CJ outers where standard chevy and ford D44 compatible.

Thanks
Jeff

I am unsure. I told them I am running Chevy outer knuckles so they are supposed to be putting the correct inner knuckle on there. We'll find out soon.

cracker said:
Holy cow that's a lot of cabbage to throw at a 44....

BIGWOODY said:
Holy cow that's a lot of cabbage to throw at a 44....

Its only cabbage! Grow more!

Back