• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crankshaft Position Sensor

HAVE YOU checked the cps? obviously tons of others have, and for a lot of them it was the cps.
so if you read this thread and didnt check your cps.... you'd be missing the entire point of searching!

yep - read the entire thread... but he said he'd already replaced cps and i never heard if his jeep was fixed...

I sent that reply at like 1:30 am... i wasnt about to go start tinkering in the garage right just then...

but at 6:30 am - i was up - pulled the plug and checked ohms... 238.6....

but had happened was the wires had come loose and were touching the exahust... cisped the wire... i pulled it up and zip tied it... runs fine now... stopped at auto parts store at 8 am - have new cps in tool box in back... may do the bracket mod.... for when the old one goes out...

thanks for the help...

Ken

Lots of info on CPS replacement tricks here, but I'll reiterate mine: A good selection of 1/4 drive extensions and a u-joint, so you can choose the best combination for each bolt; LOTS of light above and below; use the dust cover that comes with the new one ; use either a magnetic socket or a piece of paper/plastic to stick the bolt into the socket when reinstalling.

I guess the renix doesnt have a nss right? That sounds like a possibillity but I'm a 93 guy.

MAKE SURE TO UNPLUG THE ECM, PUT THE NEW CPS IN, THEN REPLUG IN THE ECM!

Mine wouldnt work untill i did it this way.

Highly doubt its your coil, and none of the other sensors would stop it from running.:greensmok

The trick I've found that works great on the CPS replacement is a 24" socket extension.
You come in from the top (under the hood) to get the sensor in place and the bolts started by hand, then crawl under the jeep and use the extension with your socket wrench to tighten them up... this allows you to avoid having to try to get your hands and wrench into that tiny little space... turns a 30-45 minute repair into a simple 5-10 minute repair.

Back