• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Problem

jacobyj2

NAXJA Forum User
My 88 XJ stopped starting a while ago, I got a new Crankshaft position sensor put in and that fixed it, but I was told the wiring was a bit shady, and needed replaced. I couldn't get the part, and sense it was running fine i just left it. It has now stopped starting and I have no battery power, and when I roll started it it was misfiring badly then died. I'm hoping it is the wiring that has failed again but don't know exactly where the wire and CPS unit is. A diagram would be great or just let me know where that wiring is and goes to.

The Crankshaft Position Sensor is located on the top, drivers side of the bellhousing. The wire should come up behind the intake manifold to a connector (3-pin I think). Try seperating the connector and reconnecting it. Sometimes the connector gets corroded enough to cause problems and simply unplugging & replugging cures the problem for a while. Worst case, you can cut the connector off and hard-wire the sensor in. I think the auto store may have replacement connectors in the help section.

The 2.5l and 4.0l engines have the CPS at 11 o'clock as seen from the rear of the vehicle. Just noticed you're posting from Norway. I don't believe this changes side in the right-hand drive versions. Or did you mean the camshaft position sensor which is in the distributor?

Looks like this, with the snout of the sensor sticking into the front edge of the bellhousing
396195.jpg

Back